[comp.sys.mac] New Apple RAM upgrade prices?

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) (09/22/87)

I see from my friendly local dealers that Apple has dropped(?) their
2M upgrade price to $599.00.  Will this cause Dove to drop theirs from
the $650 I've seen in DISCOUNT houses, or is there some difference
between dove's upgrade (MacPlus 2S, I think) and Apple's?

Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
jasst3@cisunx.UUCP			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (09/23/87)

In <3907@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) said:
>I see from my friendly local dealers that Apple has dropped(?) their
>2M upgrade price to $599.00.  Will this cause Dove to drop theirs from
>the $650 I've seen in DISCOUNT houses, or is there some difference
>between dove's upgrade (MacPlus 2S, I think) and Apple's?

I think you are refering to Apple's MacII RAM upgrade, from 1 Megabyte
to 2 Megabyte.  That upgrade uses the (much) cheaper 256K chips, and
involves using 4 256K SIMM packets.  I've priced those as little as
$45 a SIMM packet, making that upgrade cost $180 before tax.  Dove's
2S upgrade involves 1 Megabyte CMOS SIMM packeds using surface-mount chips.
Dove also has a 2H upgrade, that uses 1 DRAMs vs. surface-mount.  The
main difference between them is cost, power consumption (less on the 2S),
and height (the 2H is higher, and may not work on an SE with an upgrade
card in it).

Peter "your friendly, neighborhood, chip-man" Korn
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

dgold@apple.UUCP (09/24/87)

In article <20918@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
>In <3907@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) said:
>>I see from my friendly local dealers that Apple has dropped(?) their
>>2M upgrade price to $599.00.  Will this cause Dove to drop theirs from
>>the $650 I've seen in DISCOUNT houses, or is there some difference
>>between dove's upgrade (MacPlus 2S, I think) and Apple's?
>
>I think you are refering to Apple's MacII RAM upgrade, from 1 Megabyte
>to 2 Megabyte.  That upgrade uses the (much) cheaper 256K chips, and
>involves using 4 256K SIMM packets.

No, I believe we've actually dropped the price on the 2MB upgrade which uses
1MB SIMMs (of course, I had to read about it in MacWeek :)).  Our 1MB
upgrade based on 256K SIMMs was never that expensive.  I don't have an
official price list in front of me, so I can't give absolute confirmation
of this.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (09/25/87)

In article <20918@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
> In <3907@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) said:
> >I see from my friendly local dealers that Apple has dropped(?) their
> >2M upgrade price to $599.00.  Will this cause Dove to drop theirs from

> I think you are refering to Apple's MacII RAM upgrade, from 1 Megabyte
> to 2 Megabyte.  That upgrade uses the (much) cheaper 256K chips, and
..
> Peter "Arrgh" Korn

   Peter's perfect track record comes to an end. Apple did indeed lower the
prices to the point where the 2 MB upgrade (2x1 mbit simm modules) is now
$600. With university discounts the price has dropped to an almost tolerable
level.  David Gelphman  daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

stevel@dartvax.UUCP (09/28/87)

In article <20918@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
>In <3907@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) said:
>>I see from my friendly local dealers that Apple has dropped(?) their
>>2M upgrade price to $599.00. ...
>I think you are refering to Apple's MacII RAM upgrade, from 1 Megabyte
>to 2 Megabyte.  That upgrade uses the (much) cheaper 256K chips, and
>involves using 4 256K SIMM packets. ...

No, our store will be selling the upgrade consisting of 2 1-megabyte
simms for about $450.  Apple dropped the price quite a bit.

Also, Apple has added the Disk/Rom upgrade back on their educational
price list, so that poor students don't have to upgrade to a plus.
Thank you very much, Aple.
--
     Steve Ligett  stevel@dartmouth.edu  or
(astrovax cornell decvax harvard ihnp4 linus true)!dartvax!stevel

klong@pauling.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (09/29/87)

To end estimation and speculation, allow me to provide the exact *new low*
prices of Apples 1 and 2MB memory expansion kits.

As of September 15, the list prices Apple are as follows:

    M0218 Apple 1MB Memory Expansion Kit    $249
    M0219 Apple 2MB Memory Expansion Kit    $599

The prices extended to participating education/government entities are
significantly lower, and although I don't think Apple wants me giving those
prices exactly, suffice it to say that they're not as good as the discounts
given on machines, which for schools in the consortium is generally ~40%.

This puts significant downward pressure on third-party memory upgrade shops,
including Sophisticated Circuits of Seattle, WA, (206) 547-4779.  Their price
on a 1 to 5 meg expansion for the Mac II is $1200.  I phoned them and they
reported that they do not have much of a margin to drop their prices on the
1 MB SIMMs as they aren't making a lot on them now.  They claim that Apple
is selling the chips at below wholesale, and until the chip prices fall,
they won't be dropping their retail prices, but did have a little room to
deal.  The low price they gave me was $1100, which is less than Apple's
retail, but significantly more than Apple's educational/government price.

Dove Computer also markets SIMM upgrades for the Mac II.  Their number is
800-622-7627.  I asked them today if they had plans to adjust their prices,
and in fact they had adjusted them already.  Their price on 2 1MB SIMMs is
$749 retail, and for 4 is $1495 retail.  Their products are available at
a discount through mail order firms, but at retail are higher than Apple's.

It seems that Apple is offering a bargain.  At $600 retail for a 2MB expan-
sion, though, let's hope prices continue to fall.

	Kevin Long
	Baylor College of Medicine

Disclaimer: The items expressed herein are opinions not necessarily repre-
	    senting those of Baylor College of Medicine.

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (09/30/87)

In <2039@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU>, mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) said:
>In article <20918@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, I (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) wrote:
>> In <3907@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) said:
>> >I see from my friendly local dealers that Apple has dropped(?) their
>> >2M upgrade price to $599.00.  Will this cause Dove to drop theirs from
>
>> I think you are refering to Apple's MacII RAM upgrade, from 1 Megabyte
>> to 2 Megabyte.  That upgrade uses the (much) cheaper 256K chips, and
>..
>> Peter "Arrgh" Korn
>
>   Peter's perfect track record comes to an end. Apple did indeed lower the
>prices to the point where the 2 MB upgrade (2x1 mbit simm modules) is now
>$600.

Flattery it is, flattery.  And 'tis indeed true, I blew it on this one
(as my UCB price list is so kind in pointing out); s'ok though, I don't
mind being wrong on this one at all.  My guess is that either (a) Apple
has decided that what with certain 'backround tasking operating systems'
due out shortly, people will want RAM, and so 'so what' if Apple doesn't make
it's usual markup on the RAM it sells, it'll sell more Macs thereby, or
(b) Apple is in bed with Toshiba and is *somehow* getting them from Japan
to the US w/out paying the high prices that everyone else is paying
(or of course, (c) some combination of both).

My vote is for (c).

Peter "yah, so I was wrong *this time*" Korn
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn

suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) (09/30/87)

I've just seen the latest prices here for the Apple 2 Meg upgrade: $475,
which includes a $30 installation charge.  Apparently a lot of people
were buying the SIMMs only (formerly $445) and then trashing them
during installation that Apple told the dealers that they had to install
them.
--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903