[comp.sys.mac] What's wrong with comp.binaries.mac ?

bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (09/29/87)

In article <821@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>We've had the same trouble.  We know there are a lot of postable things
>out there, including lots of hypercard stackware that is deluging
>Genie (for one).  Perhaps we need an unmoderated posting group, since
>reviewing all the software is probably too much for one moderator.
>Any ideas?

Well, as moderator of comp.binaries.mac, let me reassure you that I am
indeed alive, as is the group.  The reason you are getting one posting
a day (though that does vary), is exactly why the group is moderated:
there is only so much bandwidth, and the postings are spread out over
time to limit the bandwidth that this group takes.  If you ever look
at the statistics that get posted to news.lists, you will find that
comp.binaries.mac is quite a high volume group.  If this volume ever
gets to a level that a majority of the backbone thinks is "too high",
you might find that they discontinue forwarding the group.  Lest you
think this is unlikely, be aware that the possibility of cutting all
comp.binaries groups has already been discussed in news.groups.

As for the LSP patch, it's next in line after the posting of NetHack
concludes with tonight's posting of part 12.  It will be posted in
seven parts over the next several days.  I would have posted the LSP
patch earlier, but had trouble getting it from THINK;  I finally got it
about a week ago after calling Jon Hueras at THINK and giving him a
different EMail address.

You can also expect to see some hypercard stack sometime in the near
future.
--
	Roger L. Long
	FileNet Corp

geb@cadre.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <8021@felix.UUCP> bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) writes:

>If this volume ever
>gets to a level that a majority of the backbone thinks is "too high",
>you might find that they discontinue forwarding the group.  Lest you
>think this is unlikely, be aware that the possibility of cutting all
>comp.binaries groups has already been discussed in news.groups.

Whoa, just what is the purpose of the net anyway, and who is paying
for it?  Look at all the trash that gets onto net.religion,
politics, tv, kids, etc., etc., etc.  I would think one of the
most legitimate uses for the net is software distribution, not
the chatting and bickering that goes on in most of the other
groups.  Who decides these things anyway?  How do we get
to put in our 2 cents with those who control it?

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <827@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
> Whoa, just what is the purpose of the net anyway, and who is paying
> for it?
Who's paying for it are several major sites that pay long distance
bills for moving an exponentially expanding traffic base.

> Look at all the trash that gets onto net.religion,
> politics, tv, kids, etc., etc., etc.

That's why they're now 'talk.' groups.

> I would think one of the
> most legitimate uses for the net is software distribution, not
> the chatting and bickering that goes on in most of the other
> groups.  Who decides these things anyway?  How do we get
> to put in our 2 cents with those who control it?

Most of the site administrators are UNIX gurus.  Anything not
directly related to UNIX or news administration is a special
interest to them.  The statistics suggest that the Mac readership
is less than 5% of the overall news readers, so this clearly qualifies
as a special interest.

We don't own the net, boys, and we're not paying the bills.
Believe me, Roger's serious when he says that the people in
charge of the net would welcome the opportunity to ditch a
high-volume newsgroup like comp.binaries.mac.

Of course, I think comp.binaries would be better used if
it did not include anything over 5 parts, and did not distribute
demonstration copies of commercial software.  Both in terms of
cost and the USENET charter (which prohibits the use of the net
for commercial gain) both are on somewhat shaky ground.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083