[comp.sys.mac] Disk Stickers

carlile@trwrb.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <828@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>....  I just wanted to warn everyone to
>inspect the floppys from Semantic Microsystems and remove
>the little stickers before ruining their drives.  This is
>definitely a lame-brain idea and may rebound against the company
>if more people do what I did.

I just wanted to add that Quark puts the same stupid stickers on the XPress
master disk.  I, too, was foolish enough to stick such a disk into my
Mac II, and damaged the internal drive.  (Fortunately I was able to unbend
the bent part).

ATTENTION ANY PUBLISHERS ON THE NET:

Stop putting those silly things on the disks!  Do you think they are going
to stop anybody from missusing your software?

Oh well, just a caveat for the rest of you.

Don Carlile

singer@endor.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <2928@trwrb.UUCP> carlile@trwrb.UUCP (Donald E. Carlile) writes:
>master disk.  I, too, was foolish enough to stick such a disk into my
>Mac II, and damaged the internal drive.  (Fortunately I was able to unbend
>the bent part).

	Just a note -- "unbending" bent metal parts is in general not a good
idea. Repeated flexure (even one unbending) can lead to metal fatigue
and eventual failure. I know disk drives cost money, but I would
rather fix it now than have it fail unexpectedly.

	I agree that it's pretty useless to put the stickers on the disk
gates...

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

Uucp: {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer
Internet/Arpanet: singer@harvard.harvard.edu

No one writes programs that work right the first time. If they did,
I'd be out of a job.