[comp.sys.mac] Resource Questions

mark@dartvax.UUCP (09/29/87)

In message <7238@dartvax.UUCP> Earle R. Horton (earleh@dartvax) writes:
>In article <127200006@inmet>, lipsett@inmet.UUCP writes:
>-> 1.  How can one use ResEdit to create a resource of a given type *with
>-> a particular resource ID*?  It really seems to want to give it its own
>-> random ID.
>I don't know.  I think it's part of an attempt to create non-conflicting
>resource IDs.

It *is* an attempt to create non-conflicting ID numbers, but it can be
overridden.  In a project I worked on, we used digitized pictures of the
Dartmouth campus in PICT format (see below), but we used the "Get Info"
item from the File menu to change the ID number of each PICT to match
an internal variable we were using.

>-> 2.  How can one create a PICT resource (graphically would be nice; if
>-> not, how does the internal format of a PICT resource differ from what
>-> one might write into a file from an application that uses the
>-> QuickDraw picture routines to create same)?
>If you want to quickly create a PICT resource, then "Copy" a picture
>from MacPaint or MacDraw or something, and "Paste" the thing into the
>ScrapBook.  You can get the 'PICT' out of the ScrapBook using ResEdit.
>You still have to put up with the funny ID, however.
>
>Earle

That is exactly what we did, and it worked great.  Now you don't have to
put up with screwy ID numbers anymore.

(darn line counter)

(darn line counter)

(darn line counter)

(darn line counter)

Cheers,

--
Mark Nowacki	   	"Lovely to see you again, my friend!
Dartmouth College  		Walk along with me to the next bend..."

cnc@hpcid.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (10/02/87)

I have had no luck with copying PICT files from the scrapbook into
ResEdit. Yes, I did change the resource ID. Observe the following:

1) get working program (from elsewhere) that has PICT resource
program displays picture

2) replace resource with my own PICT file and change ID to same as other
PICT (which I deleted from the resource file).
program now does not display the picture.

3) copy back the original picture to the resource file (deleteing mine first)
and again reset the resource ID.
program now displays the original picture.

I am obviously overlooking something.

I even tried powering off my mac in between steps to make sure
the resources were purged from memory (I was paranoid by this time).

What could I be missing?

P.S. tried the same thing with an ICON resource and it worked fine.

Chris Christensen					Hewlett-Packard
(408) 553-2955 or telnet 553-2955	Design Technology Center
cnc@hpcid.hp.com					Santa Clara, CA