[comp.sys.mac] Icon generation sw

instone@bgsuvax.UUCP (09/29/87)

Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions about 'hacking' together
icon resources.  Using DAs (such as Icon Maker or McSink) and your favorite
graphics program seems to work pretty well, in fact.  Why should anyone
want more?  Well, I do.
I thought one of these easily found Mac progammers ( :-} ) would have
already come up with a simple little application which could do it all.
Just take a 32 by 32 Fat Bits type grid and make a resource out of it.
But, alas, I see that nothing exists yet.

And now about another area where the Mac is deficient software-wise:
programming languages.  Are there any functional programming
languages available for the Mac?  I am talking about those strange
ones, like FP, Nial and Hope?

--
 Keith Instone
 Department of Computer Science  Bowling Green State University

susser@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Josh Susser) (10/01/87)

In article <1310@bgsuvax.UUCP> instone@bgsuvax.UUCP (Keith Instone) writes:

>Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions about 'hacking' together
>icon resources.  Using DAs (such as Icon Maker or McSink) and your favorite
>graphics program seems to work pretty well, in fact.  Why should anyone
>want more?  Well, I do.
>I thought one of these easily found Mac progammers ( :-} ) would have
>already come up with a simple little application which could do it all.
>Just take a 32 by 32 Fat Bits type grid and make a resource out of it.
>But, alas, I see that nothing exists yet.

After you have made your 32x32 bitmap in your favorite paint program, lasso
or frame it and then copy it to the clipboard or scrapbook.  Then run ResEdit,
make a new ICN#, open it and paste the bitmap.  Now all you have to do is
fix the mask and you're done.

--Josh Susser
  Xerox Special Information Systems, Pasadena, CA
  Susser.pasa@Xerox.com

    I admit it: you are better than me.
        Then why are you smiling?
    Because I know something you don't know.

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <1310@bgsuvax.UUCP> instone@bgsuvax.UUCP (Keith Instone) writes:

>Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions about 'hacking' together
>icon resources.  Using DAs (such as Icon Maker or McSink) and your favorite
>graphics program seems to work pretty well, in fact.  Why should anyone
>want more?  Well, I do.

I just found what appears to be a complete icon editing/creating tool
inside HyperCard.  I spent about 3 minutes trying it out, but it didn't
pick up the correct icon for an application whose icon I wanted to edit,
giving me the printer icon instead.  Looks like with a bit longer time,
it would do most everything, including the masks for desktop icons.

--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (10/05/87)

In article <1310@bgsuvax.UUCP> instone@bgsuvax.UUCP (Keith Instone) writes:
> Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions about 'hacking' together
> icon resources.  Using DAs (such as Icon Maker or McSink) and your favorite
> graphics program seems to work pretty well, in fact.  Why should anyone
> want more?  Well, I do.
> I thought one of these easily found Mac progammers ( :-} ) would have
> already come up with a simple little application which could do it all.
> Just take a 32 by 32 Fat Bits type grid and make a resource out of it.
> But, alas, I see that nothing exists yet.

Besides Iconmaker, there are two programs in the <INFO-MAC> archives:
	Icon Hacker 0.95 (ICON-HACKER-095.HQX)
	IEdit 1.1	 (IEDIT.HQX)

Both work on System 4.1, but they still need some work. A big problem
with Icon Hacker is that it doesn't display both an ICN# mask
completely, which is real annoying (ResEdit does).  A problem with both
of them is that they don't have any operations like oval or rectangle;
they paint only in fatbits mode.

IEdit has a lot of features in the menu that aren't implemented yet.
Kent Flowers, the author, said he still plans to work on version 2.0,
but because he wants to include color icons doesn't think it'll be
ready before spring.

--
"Physicists are mathematicians in a hurry"  B. Mandelbrot

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian