[comp.sys.mac] Where can I find MPW

dwd@sfsup.UUCP (David W. Dougherty) (09/21/87)

Does anybody out there know where I might find the Macintosh
Programmers Workshop program (MPW).  I want to purchase a
copy, and a reputable mail order firm would be preferred.

Thanx in advance,

	David W. Dougherty @
	{...ihpn4...}!attunix!dwd

russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) (09/22/87)

MPW is a shell system, a set of utilities and an assembler and linker.  It
is a very complete, Unix-like environment.  Pascal and C are extra-cost
additions.  If you like Unix, you will love it, if you don't think Unix
is that terrific then you will tolerate the interface to get the power
and the standardization (everybody, almost, uses it).
Unfortunately you can obtain it only from APDA in Renton WA.  It is
a very debatable issue as to whether APDA can be called a "reputable
dealer".
You can call APDA at (206) 251-6548 to join (it's a coop) and order
MPW.
Then you wait for a couple of years, and MPW will arrive with at least
two disks unreadable.  Then you call them and ask for readable disks;
then you wait another indeterminate period -- and you'll have MPW!!
Good luck!
-r
(Richard Reich as russell@nyu)

jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) (09/22/87)

	At present the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (MPW) can only be
purchased from the Apple Programmer's and Developer's Assoication (APDA).
APDA is a membership organization, which cost $20.00 a year to join, which
gives you their quarterly catalog and the right to purchase product through
APDA.  APDA is the channel for all Apple Developer Tools.

	APDA can be reached at the following address:

		APDA
		290 SW 43rd Street
		Renton, WA 98055
		(206) 251-6548

	I would suggest you call and request a membership application, and
then when you join, order MPW.

	Hope this helps!

--

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET

STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) (09/22/87)

You can get MPW from APDA (Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association)
their address is:

APDA
290 SW 43rd Street
Renton, WA 98055

and the phone number is:

(206) 251-6548

Hope that helps.

Scott Storkel
Rice University Macintosh Software Development

Disclaimer: My employers don't even realize that I can operate mainframe and
            are not responsible for my actions.

sysop@stech.UUCP (09/24/87)

in article <2071@sfsup.UUCP>, dwd@sfsup.UUCP (David W. Dougherty) says:

> Does anybody out there know where I might find the Macintosh
> Programmers Workshop program (MPW).  I want to purchase a
> copy, and a reputable mail order firm would be preferred.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the only place I know of to get
MPW is through APDA (Apple Programmers and Developers Association).  You
have to be a member to order from them ($20/year).

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (09/24/87)

In article <170026@acf3.NYU.EDU| russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) writes:
|MPW is a shell system, a set of utilities and an assembler and linker.  It
|is a very complete, Unix-like environment.  Pascal and C are extra-cost
|additions.  If you like Unix, you will love it, if you don't think Unix
|is that terrific then you will tolerate the interface to get the power
|and the standardization (everybody, almost, uses it).

Not everybody.  Many of us prefer LightspeedC for programming in C.  I have
use UNIX, a PC and a Mac and of the three, the Mac with LightspeedC is by far
the fastest and easist.

|Unfortunately you can obtain it only from APDA in Renton WA.  It is
|a very debatable issue as to whether APDA can be called a "reputable
|dealer".
|You can call APDA at (206) 251-6548 to join (it's a coop) and order
|MPW.
|Then you wait for a couple of years, and MPW will arrive with at least
|two disks unreadable.  Then you call them and ask for readable disks;
|then you wait another indeterminate period -- and you'll have MPW!!

In case anyone thinks Richard is being sarcastic, let me assure you that
his comments are quite true.  APDA is the only dealer I've dealt with that
requires Fed Ex's 2 day service take at least four days (and I'm still waiting).
I wish Apple would release their development tools to other dealers to carry.
Then we could get better service and better prices!

|Good luck!
|-r
|(Richard Reich as russell@nyu)

Jerry Whitnell                           It's a damn poor mind that can only
Communication Solutions, Inc.            think of one way to spell a word.
						-- Andrew Jackson

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (09/28/87)

>|Unfortunately you can obtain it only from APDA in Renton WA.  It is
>|a very debatable issue as to whether APDA can be called a "reputable
>|dealer".
>|You can call APDA at (206) 251-6548 to join (it's a coop) and order
>|MPW.
>|Then you wait for a couple of years, and MPW will arrive with at least
>|two disks unreadable.  Then you call them and ask for readable disks;
>|then you wait another indeterminate period -- and you'll have MPW!!

>In case anyone thinks Richard is being sarcastic, let me assure you that
>his comments are quite true.  APDA is the only dealer I've dealt with that
>requires Fed Ex's 2 day service take at least four days (and I'm still waiting).
>I wish Apple would release their development tools to other dealers to carry.
>Then we could get better service and better prices!

I second these comments, not from my own experience, but from that of a
friend of mine. His MPW 2.0 took an incredible amount of time from the date
that it supposedly was shipped until it reached him. Then, when it did reach
him, two of the disks were damaged. This problem seems to be exacerbated by
APDA's continued usage of single-sided disks as double-sided. In any case,
with MPW Pascal 2.0 undergoing bug fixes, I don't believe he still has a
working MPW Pascal 2.0. I could also tell about the time he ordered the
new Macintalk (1.31) and instead received something like "Macintosh
Programming Tools" with a shipping address and credit card number of some
other person (presumably, someone else got his Macintalk and also access to
his credit card numbers). He had numerous problems getting any response from
APDA, even by sending them mail on AppleLink.

I second the suggestion that Apple release its development tools through a
second, more competent source. I plan on letting my APDA membership expire,
since I really hesitate to do business with them unless I absolutely have to.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

DLE@KL.SRI.COM (David L. Edwards) (09/29/87)

I recently (last Thursday) ordered MPW and a handful of other items
from APDA and it arrived on Monday.  That is reasonable turn around
time as far as I am concerned.  They have given me similar turn
around on previous orders.  My gripe is that I have MPW and MacApp
but I am waiting for Pascal (backordered).  I hope Apple releases
it quickly.

I believe APDA is trying to improve things but a second source
would be nice.

-dle

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (09/30/87)

In article <12338510906029@KL.SRI.COM> DLE@KL.SRI.COM (David L. Edwards) writes:

>I recently (last Thursday) ordered MPW and a handful of other items
>from APDA and it arrived on Monday.  That is reasonable turn around

	That's been my experience, too. Pretty good turnaround.

>but I am waiting for Pascal (backordered).  I hope Apple releases
>it quickly.

	Pascal *has* been released; I just suspect that supply is
outpacing demand at the moment. Or maybe APDA ran out of single-sided
floppies? :-)

>I believe APDA is trying to improve things but a second source
>would be nice.

	Amen to that! Can you say "Monopoly"?

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

Uucp: {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer
Internet/Arpanet: singer@harvard.harvard.edu

No one writes programs that work right the first time. If they did,
I'd be out of a job.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (09/30/87)

Unshipped MPW Pascal 2.0 orders are being delayed until duplication
of the 2.0.1 disks is complete.  There's a serious but obscure
bug that is corrected in the new release, as documented by
Tech Note #162.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (10/05/87)

In article <2907@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Richard Siegel) writes:
>In article <12338510906029@KL.SRI.COM> DLE@KL.SRI.COM (David L. Edwards) writes:
>
>	Pascal *has* been released; I just suspect that supply is
>outpacing demand at the moment. Or maybe APDA ran out of single-sided
>floppies? :-)

	I just received an "in-between catalogs" update from APDA. In the
newsletter, they apologize for not realizing that commercial disk-duplicators
can wear out disk drives. So, if you are one of the many who got MPW with
unreadable disks, call them up and they will send you replacements. As a bonus,
you get to keep the old disks (wow). I think their reliability would improve
more if they did stop using single-sided disks as double-sided.
	Other things of interest (that I can remember) from the catalog - they
tell what HyperCard materials they will stock, including the Script Reference
and the Goodman book. Inside Mac V is now in the final APDA draft. Someone is
advertising a tape backup unit for less than the Apple one (and it is
supposedly compatible, as well). Other than that, I don't think there was
anything really earth-shattering in this letter.

>>I believe APDA is trying to improve things but a second source
>>would be nice.
>
>	Amen to that! Can you say "Monopoly"?

	Seconded! Can anyone at Apple who is reading this please pass this
request to those making the decisions? Jordan?