[comp.sys.mac] 12" monitor

sterritt@ge-mc3i.UUCP (Chris Sterritt) (10/05/87)

Hello,
	For those people who were looking at getting a larger monitor,
particularly for getting better eyeball-abuse figures, the 'users=group'
Call-APPLE in Washington is selling a VERY inexpensive 12" monitor and
adapter for either the 512, plus or (I'm pretty sure) SE.  I'm pretty sure
it's just a size expansion without a pixel expansion, i.e. it's still a
512 x 342 bit screen, but it's bigger, and you can put it where you want
a little easier, etc.
	One of the main things about it is that WITH ADAPTOR it's advertised
as $340.00 !  Pretty cheap, I'd say (although to be honest, I don't want one,
but I thought Id let YOU know).
	It was advertised in one of the recent issues of Mac-APPLE, which is
the mac version of the Call-APPLE magazine put out by the APPLE users group
(It's actually A.P.P.L.E., which stands (roughly) for Apple Puget-sound
Program Library Exchange).  They have been a great apple-II users group for
many years, and now with Mac-APPLE they're doing the mac.
	Unfortunately, I think you have to be a member of Call-APPLE to get
that price; look at the magazine.  I don't know what it costs to join them,
but they have lots of software and some hardware that's cheap and not available
anywhere else.
	--chris sterritt

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (10/05/87)

In article <345@ge-mc3i.UUCP> sterritt@ge-mc3i.UUCP (Chris Sterritt) writes:
>	For those people who were looking at getting a larger monitor,
>particularly for getting better eyeball-abuse figures, the 'users=group'
>Call-APPLE in Washington is selling a VERY inexpensive 12" monitor and
>adapter for either the 512, plus or (I'm pretty sure) SE.  I'm pretty sure
>it's just a size expansion without a pixel expansion, i.e. it's still a
>512 x 342 bit screen, but it's bigger, and you can put it where you want
>a little easier, etc.

Sorry, it would be pretty stupid to get one of these.

It is too small to use for giving a presentation to a group and it is
large enough that if you take an ordinary Macintosh 342x512 picture
and project it on one of these guys the pixels are large enough that
you cross a threshold in the curve of the human nervous system so that
jaggies subtend a large enough arc in the visual field that picture
percieved as radically _poorer_ in quality, not better.  If you use
one of these screens and keep your distance from the Mac the same, the
image will seem worse because it larger, not better.  Getting in the
right part of the curve was part of the original design of the Mac in
the first place.

One passable use for such a display: you could mount it further away, and
work with just a keyboard and mouse+mousepad or trackball in your lap.

Seems like more pain than it is worth.

--- David Phillip Oster            --A Sun 3/60 makes a poor Macintosh II.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --A Macintosh II makes a poor Sun 3/60.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu