[comp.sys.mac] another hypercard questions: card number

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/05/87)

[Anyone for comp.sys.mac.hypercard? or comp.lang.hypercard?

Here's another one that should be a no-brainer, but the information doesn't
seem to be in the Goodman book. I want to have a line on one of my cards
that says "card #<num> of <num>". I can find the second value, the total
number of cards. I can't find any documentation for getting what card number
this is. Goodman simply says "since cards can be re-arranged, use the card
id and not that card number" -- well, I WANT that card number.

Any idea what the variable for this it?

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach					chuq@sun.COM
Editor, OtherRealms					Delphi: CHUQ

Bye bye life!  Bye bye happiness! Hello, loneliness, I think I'm gonna die.

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (10/06/87)

In article <29981@sun.uucp> chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>[Anyone for comp.sys.mac.hypercard? or comp.lang.hypercard?
>
>Here's another one that should be a no-brainer, but the information doesn't
>seem to be in the Goodman book. I want to have a line on one of my cards
>that says "card #<num> of <num>". I can find the second value, the total
>number of cards. I can't find any documentation for getting what card number
>this is. Goodman simply says "since cards can be re-arranged, use the card
>id and not that card number" -- well, I WANT that card number.

You want to ask for "the number of this card".  Pretty nifty,
huh?  I think you should give Goodman's book more credit;
these things are in there, albeit well hidden.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

faulkner@scdpyr.UUCP (Bill Faulkner) (10/06/87)

In article <29981@sun.uucp>, chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> [Anyone for comp.sys.mac.hypercard? or comp.lang.hypercard?

 [Sure, sounds like a good time to me]

> Here's another one that should be a no-brainer, but the information doesn't
> seem to be in the Goodman book. I want to have a line on one of my cards
> that says "card #<num> of <num>". I can find the second value, the total
> number of cards. I can't find any documentation for getting what card number
> this is. Goodman simply says "since cards can be re-arranged, use the card
> id and not that card number" -- well, I WANT that card number.

Well, I just found out by using a little reasoning.  I know that it
at least works in the message box (I just tried it).  Anyway  the command
to get the current card number is:

  put the number of this card into x

where x is the container that you want the card number in.  Boy, don't
you love it when the right answer is also the obvious one.

--
Bill Faulkner * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research)
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1259

freedman@calgary.UUCP (Dan Freedman) (10/06/87)

In article <29981@sun.uucp>, chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> I want to have a line on one of my cards
> that says "card #<num> of <num>". I can find the second value, the total
> number of cards. I can't find any documentation for getting what card number
> this is.

Hmm, try typing "number of this card" in to the message box.  I suspect that
you will get the value you want.

	Dan Freedman
	University of Calgary Computer Science Department