[comp.sys.mac] Help! Dataframe XP30 no longer boots

rf1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Vernon Ford) (10/07/87)

I have a Mac II hooked to a Dataframe XP 30 hard disk, no internal hard disk.
Over the weekend the Dataframe decided to no longer boot.  I can boot off a
floppy and still access all the information on it.  I tried Disk First Aid
which acknowledged some problem and then said it had fixed it.  A subsequent
run of Disk First Aid said the disk was fine, but it no longer boots.  I have
tried trashing the old system file and copying a working system off floppy to
no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance

-Richard Ford

INTERNET:  rf1m@andrew.cmu.edu
BITNET: rf1m@drycas.bitnet
UUCP:  psuvax1!drycasI'LI'L

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (10/08/87)

In article <YVOLj0y00W0NcMo0H-@andrew.cmu.edu>, rf1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Vernon Ford) writes:
> I have a Mac II hooked to a Dataframe XP 30 hard disk, no internal hard disk.
> Over the weekend the Dataframe decided to no longer boot.  I can boot off a
> -Richard Ford
    I have had similar problems in the past. Some flakey program has probably
written something into parameter RAM which has caused your problem. To fix
this problem, hold down command-option-shift and select the control panel.
You will be asked if you want to reset parameter RAM. Say yes, then restart.
You should boot off your hard disk fine, but you'll have to reset your
mouse speed, etc.
   According to one of the Apple Technotes about hard disks, the Mac II not
only stores the information about which SCSI device is the startup device
but also what KIND of device it is. For example you may want to boot up into
UNIX and use a unix disk. In any case, if the KIND information gets trashed,
then the Mac is looking for some kind of nonexistent disk and won't boot.
   Evidently Apple's SC Setup will also fix this information if you update
the drivers, but for a non Apple Hard Disk this is NOT something you want
to do. Good luck,

David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

twleung@athena.mit.edu (Theodore W. (Ted) Leung) (10/09/87)

I had this problem on my Mac II with a Jasmine InnerDrive 90/II.
The problem may be that the Parameter RAM got trashed. To clear
the PRAM, hold down the option, command, and shift keys while opening
the control panel from the Apple menu.

					Ted