[comp.sys.mac] Some unrelated questions

rcb@rti.UUCP (Randy Buckland) (10/05/87)

[Sorry about the previous message but my stupid news software just decided
that it did not like my five line signature]

I am a fairly new Mac owner and have a few questions:

	1. Does anyone (like from Apple) know if the new Multifinder/System
		will fix the problem with the second internal floppy on
		the SE (drive is deselected too much)

	2. Does anyone use dot matrix printers other than the IMagewriter.
		The specific case I have in mind is something like an Epson.
		I would like to find a printer driver that would do both
		text and graphics (probably by bitmap drop) with
		little/no compatability problem. (so, I'm an optimist)

	3. Has anyone solved the game "Radical Castle" that is in either
		the ngp or sumex archives as "adventure.hqx"? I have
		the oracle and simply need to get back. How do I get
		into the hacker's room? Can I kill the dragon? Is there
		something needed from the dungeon section?

	4. I  !!! LOVE !!! Lightspeed Pascal. Fantastic program. Just
		one question. Is there a Lightspeed Ada in the future?
		How far? If not, I was thinking of writing an Ada compiler
		for the Mac and really like the Lightspeed user interface.
		Anybody at Think, Inc. want to make a deal?

That's all for now. I can assure you I will return with more questions
as soon as the find their way back into my mind.
--
					Randy Buckland (919)-541-7103
					Research Triangle Institute

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (10/05/87)

In article <1771@rti.UUCP> rcb@rti.UUCP (Randy Buckland) writes:
>I am a fairly new Mac owner and have a few questions:
>
>	1. Does anyone (like from Apple) know if the new Multifinder/System
>		will fix the problem with the second internal floppy on
>		the SE (drive is deselected too much)

Apple announced that a patch will be in the next System file, released with
MultiFinder. In the meantime, if you are desperate for a fix, get Copy II
Mac 7.0. They have a fix for the problem that is an INIT resource that patches
the drive on startup. They also now have an INIT that allows you to undelete
files from your hard disk (when used in conjunction with MacTools 7.0). Also,
all programs are now supposed to function properly on the SE and II.

>	2. Does anyone use dot matrix printers other than the IMagewriter.
>		The specific case I have in mind is something like an Epson.
>		I would like to find a printer driver that would do both
>		text and graphics (probably by bitmap drop) with
>		little/no compatability problem. (so, I'm an optimist)

I haven't used them, but SoftStyle (in Hawaii) makes drivers for a number of
non-Apple printers. They had a package called EpStart which allowed you to
use an Epson printer with the Mac. I don't think it was 100% compatible, but
it's better than nothing...

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/06/87)

In article <1771@rti.UUCP> rcb@rti.UUCP (Randy Buckland) writes:
>[Sorry about the previous message but my stupid news software just decided
>that it did not like my five line signature]
>

>I am a fairly new Mac owner and have a few questions:
>
>	4. I  !!! LOVE !!! Lightspeed Pascal. Fantastic program. Just
>		one question. Is there a Lightspeed Ada in the future?
>		How far? If not, I was thinking of writing an Ada compiler
>		for the Mac and really like the Lightspeed user interface.
>		Anybody at Think, Inc. want to make a deal?

	I don't think that a Lightspeed Ada is likely.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy quote)                       *

freeman@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Jay Freeman) (10/07/87)

>	I don't think that a Lightspeed Ada is likely.
>
>		--Rich

I suspect it would have to be "Impulse Engine Ada".

cheeser@dasys1.UUCP (Les Kay) (10/09/87)

In article <1316@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM> freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) writes:
>>	I don't think that a Lightspeed Ada is likely.
>>
>>		--Rich
>
>I suspect it would have to be "Impulse Engine Ada".

Are you sure that's not "Speed Limit 55 Ada"???

LightSpeed Prolog is the next question, right?  8^)

a few lines for the message muncher
Jonathan Bing, Master (cheeser)			...ihnp4!hoptoad!dasys1!cheeser
	      Time flys like an Arrow, Fruit Flies like Bananas!