[comp.sys.mac] TCP/IP for Apple{Talk,Share}?

john@uw-nsr.UUCP (John Sambrook) (10/09/87)

Hi,

I'm trying to put together some information on connecting both AppleTalk
and AppleShare networks to TCP/IP networks.  I'm interested in both hardware
and software for this task.  War and horror stories are also of interest.

I would be willing to bet that other people would be interested in this
information, so I will be happy to summarize and post any information that
I receive.  Please mail me rather that posting it as I expect there could
be quite a lot of discussion on something like this.

I'd also be happy to collect and organize information on Mac software for
making use of the network connection, such as electronic mail software,
file transfer software, etc.

Here are a few of the products I have heard about.  Some or all of this
information may be bogus; I heard it secondhand from some local networking
types.

  1.  Kinetics Corporation makes a `thing' for connecting an AppleTalk network
      to a TCP/IP.  He thought the price was about $ 3600.00 per unit.  It's
      not clear if this is a card or a stand-alone unit.

  2.  Hayes Corporation makes something called an InterBridge for
      connecting AppleTalk networks together into large networks of
      more than 32 devices.

  3.  DuPont Corporation makes a fiber-based product for increasing the
      maximum physical size of an AppleTalk network.

Finally, in a few days we will be changing our Internet name from
"nsr.acs.washington.edu" to "nsr.bioeng.washington.edu."  However,
our Internet address won't change; it is 128.208.64.1.

Thank you.

--
John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.acs.washington.edu
University of Washington RC-05           UUCP: uw-nsr!john

graifer@net1.ucsd.edu (Dan Graifer) (10/09/87)

In article <1130@uw-nsr.UUCP> john@nsr.acs.washington.edu.UUCP (John Sambrook 548-4386) writes:
>I'm trying to put together some information on connecting both AppleTalk
>and AppleShare networks to TCP/IP networks.  I'm interested in both hardware
>and software for this task.  War and horror stories are also of interest.
>Here are a few of the products I have heard about.  Some or all of this
>information may be bogus; I heard it secondhand from some local networking
>types.
>
>  1.  Kinetics Corporation makes a `thing' for connecting an AppleTalk network
>      to a TCP/IP.  He thought the price was about $ 3600.00 per unit.  It's
>      not clear if this is a card or a stand-alone unit.

Kinetics makes a couple of products of interest
    i.  FastPath: Stand alone box. AppleTalk to Ethernet Gateway $2500.  $2750
        with ethernet transmitter.
    ii. EtherportSE.  Ethernet controller board for MacSE.  With xmitter.  $850
    iii.EtherSC.  SCSI Ethernet controller.  $1100.  With xmitter, $1250.
    (Dove computer has a similer product)
If you are seriously interested in this stuff, call Kinetics at (415)947-0998.
The stuff the mailed me included description of 3rd party software options.

>  3.  DuPont Corporation makes a fiber-based product for increasing the
>      maximum physical size of an AppleTalk network.

True.  This stuff is expensive.  Check out Farallon PhoneNet.  They make
repeaters etc. that will do some of the same stuff. (415)849-2331
The fibre optic stuff gives you clean, low RFnoise connections over large
distances.

>Thank you.
>John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.acs.washington.edu

The summer '87 issue of Macintosh Buyers Guide is devoted to Desktop Com-
munication.  It has product descriptions, prices, and contacts for virtually
every product announced or available in this area.

You will need software to run the above hardware.  Talk to TOPS division of
Sun Microsystems. (415)549-5900.  Or ask Tim Marooney (sp?), he works for
them (I believe) and is on this net.
                              Dan Graifer
                              graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU
Disclaimer: Nobody ever listens to me anyways; Why should they start now?