[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Software Compatibility

thomas@dartvax.UUCP (09/28/87)

I have just ordered a Mac II to replace my 512ke and am worried about software
compatibility.  Does anyone know of a published list of software versions
which work well or at all on the mac II?  What about a list of software
patches that can make otherwise incompatible programs function?  If
neither of the above are available, I would be willing to compile them from
version numbers/patches which I see in magazines, on the net, or which are
sent to me privately.

Some of the packages I have questions about are:

NetTrek           Studio Session
Mazewars +        TML Pascal
Concertware+      Dark Castle
Fedit +           Mac Zap series

I would really appreciate any and all information.  If I get alot of responses
then I will organize them and post them periodically.  Thanks.

thomas@dartvax * thomas%u2%dartmouth%csnet-relay.arpa  |  Thomas Summerall '88
                                                       |  H.B. 3445
"And all that the Lorax left here in this mess,        |  Dartmouth College
 Was a small pile of rocks, with one word: UNLESS"     |  Hanover, NH    03755
                                        -Dr. Seuss '25 |

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <7224@dartvax.UUCP>, thomas@dartvax.UUCP (Thomas Summerall) writes:
> I have just ordered a Mac II to replace my 512ke and am worried about software
> compatibility.  Does anyone know of a published list of software versions
>
> Some of the packages I have questions about are:
>
> NetTrek

    not for me even with the cache off

>Studio Session

    not for me...Steve Capps said no and I believe him since he either
wrote part of it or was involved with the people who did. They did funny
things with the sound driver to get 6 voices...sounds like trouble!

> Mazewars +
    Haven't tried this yet
> TML Pascal
    don't know
> Concertware+
    don't know
> Dark Castle

    uses the alternate screen buffer hence won't work. New Dark Castle
has the same problem.

> Fedit +
     WORKS GREAT!!!!
>Mac Zap series

     early versions wouldn't work with system 4.1 because of the
Megamax C bug. Once patched they work. I assume the new version doesn't
suffer from the low memory global problem and will work but they haven't
delivered it yet even though we ordered the update.

In spite of what the above list may indicate, I've had great success with
the Mac software I've tried on the Mac II. The above list is biased toward
entertainment stuff and that suffers with the MacII. Personally I was
worried about compatibility and it has turned out to be better than
expected (except for games which break all the rules).

David Gelphman  daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (10/05/87)

Nettrek works fine. Played it a couple of times on a II surrounded by
Mac+'s. Screens updates are fast!
Hal    Netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet

RLWALD@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert Wald) (10/10/87)

>Nettrek works fine. Played it a couple of times on a II surrounded by
>Mac+'s. Screens updates are fast!

  What's Nettrek?

-Rob Wald                Bitnet: RLWALD@PUCC.BITNET
                         Uucp: {ihnp4|allegra}!psuvax1!PUCC.BITNET!RLWALD
                         Arpa: RLWALD@PUCC.Princeton.Edu
"Why are they all trying to kill me?"
     "They don't realize that you're already dead."     -The Prisoner