[comp.sys.mac] Request for icon generation sw

instone@bgsuvax.UUCP (Keith Instone) (09/23/87)

I need to generate _a_lot_ of ICON resources for a program I am writing.

Is there any piece of software around written specifically for this task?

'RMaker' will do the trick, except I have to figure out the hex representation
of the 32 by 32 bit map by hand. That is too much work.

'ResEdit' will work too, but it isn't very friendly.

What else is out there??

Thanks in advance

--
 Keith Instone
 Department of Computer Science  Bowling Green State University

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (09/28/87)

In article <1301@bgsuvax.UUCP>, instone@bgsuvax.UUCP (Keith Instone) writes:

> I need to generate _a_lot_ of ICON resources for a program I am writing.
>
> Is there any piece of software around written specifically for this task?
>
> 'RMaker' will do the trick, except I have to figure out the hex representation
> of the 32 by 32 bit map by hand. That is too much work.
>
> 'ResEdit' will work too, but it isn't very friendly.
>
> What else is out there??

What I would recommend is to do what I do when I need to generate icons.  I
create them in SuperPaint (or FullPaint or MacPaint) and use the IconMaker DA
that has been posted to a number of services including this one in the past.
This allows you to "block off" a 32x32 portion of the screen and save that as
an ICON.  If you want the hex representation, use ResTools 2.0 (recently posted
here) to decompile it.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team

fine@gondor.psu.edu (Steve Fine) (10/11/87)

In article <241@dbase.UUCP> drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) writes:
>What I would recommend is to do what I do when I need to generate icons.  I
>create them in SuperPaint (or FullPaint or MacPaint) and use the IconMaker DA
>that has been posted to a number of services including this one in the past.
>This allows you to "block off" a 32x32 portion of the screen and save that as
>an ICON.  If you want the hex representation, use ResTools 2.0 (recently posted
>here) to decompile it.

Icon Maker, which I wrote and distributed as shareware, can create hex
representations also.  To learn how press "h" while the accessory is
running.

If you use Icon Maker I recommend that you use version 2.1.  This
version is much more useful than the 1.x versions and fixes a bug
that was in version 2.0.

--
Steve Fine
Internet: fine@gondor.psu.edu