[comp.sys.mac] Misc. SCSI drives

jmm@thoth14.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (10/08/87)

There are a lot of adds out there offering SCSI
drives for <$300/20 megs.  They all seem to be
directed at the IBM world.  How difficult is
it to hook one of these up to a Mac?

James Moore
ucbvax!leggatt!jmm

gamble@sfu_yoda.cs.sfu (10/09/87)

I'm currently fighting with this problem. It seems that there is no
third party source willing to sell just their software device drivers,
all of these companies market 3rd party drives which they want you to buy.

If you come across a source for a ST251N device drive that will work on
a mac II please e-mail there name and number.

...{sun|uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!fornax!sfu_yoda!gamble

brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) (10/10/87)

There are general-purpose, public domain SCSI drivers
availible, but I don't know where you can get your
hands on one.  If you can find one, all you need
to do is customize it for your drive and install it.

There was a magazine article maybe a year ago on
putting a SCSI drive on a Macintosh, it was very
complete, but I can't remember what magazine!
Dr. Dobb's Journal? Byte?  Those are the only
possibilities which sound likely.

     Brian Rauchfuss

brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) (10/10/87)

Look at message # 1 on this board and
maybe talk to the author.  The name
Ephriam Vishniac came up in connection
with some $10 shareware SCSI drivers...

   Brian

mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) (10/11/87)

In article <10620002@hpfclm.HP.COM> brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) writes:
>There are general-purpose, public domain SCSI drivers
>availible, but I don't know where you can get your
>hands on one.  If you can find one, all you need
>to do is customize it for your drive and install it.

See the Feb. and March issues of MacTutor.  Feb describes a convoluted process
of building your drive (which is no longer necessary); March explains the de-
vice driver.

--
Robert Dorsett                  {allegra,seismo}!sally!ut-ngp!walt!mentat
University of Texas at Austin	{allegra, seismo}!sally!ut-ngp!auscso!mentat  -