[comp.sys.mac] 800K external drives

rve@ihlpa.UUCP (05/15/87)

I have a 512K+ Mac with a 400K external drive (and, of course, an 800K
internal drive).  I'm finding the 400K drive an inconvenience and would like
to upgrade it to an 800K drive.  I've seen several brands advertised,
and I see that non-Apple drives are considerably cheaper than Apple's.
What am I risking or giving up if I don't buy an Apple drive?  Any
specific brand recommmendations?  Are prices as low as they're going to
get, or will 1.6M drives drive them lower?  I'd appreciate any advice.
Please mail it to me rather than posting to the group.  Thanks.
				Bob Epley, ihlpa!rve

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (05/16/87)

In article <3948@ihlpa.ATT.COM> rve@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Epley) writes:
>I have a 512K+ Mac with a 400K external drive (and, of course, an 800K
>internal drive).  I'm finding the 400K drive an inconvenience and would like
>to upgrade it to an 800K drive...  [looking for advice on good 800K drives]

The best price/performance floppy drive I've come across is the Central
Point drive.  Until just a few weeks ago it was retailing for $200 (and
selling for perhaps $5 under that; not much margin in there!), and some
places may still be selling it for that.  It's gone up to $239 or thereabouts,
and is still the best deal in floppy drives.

However, I don't recommend getting it.  Spend a lot more, and get a SCSI
connector and a cheap hard drive, as the use you will get out of the $685
hard drive investment will be more than three times the use you will get
out of your $239 floppy drive investment.

It's rather amazing just how much difference a hard drive makes.

Peter
-----
Peter "Arrgh" Korn		         Hacker?  Me?  A hacker?  No, actually
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU			 I'm a mac-er.  All's we do is
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn            make library calls.

jsanders@topaz.rutgers.edu (jill sanders) (10/12/87)

hi,

I am interested in getting an 800K external drive for my Macintosh
Plus.  Which one is the most reliable?  I want to know which one has
the best features and is the fastest.

Thank You in advance,

 Jill Sanders

 jsanders@topaz.rutgers.edu (arpa)
 rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!jsanders (UUCP)

 snail mail:  LPO 10166 CN 5064		 phone: 201-846-2461
              New Brunswick, NJ 08903