[comp.sys.mac] Apple Monitors

newton@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mike Newton) (10/06/87)

Speaking of bad monitors...

I strongly advise against MAC II buyers buying the Mac II B&W monitor.  I've
already gone through two, and have given up.

The reason that I got the B&W monitor is that Apple offered (to a few
universities) to provide FREE  B&W monitors for those who ordered color monitors
and who would agree to delay receipt of the color monitor to 1/88.

Well, my first monitor crackled/poped.  It was also badly aligned -- about
1/2 inch was on the top on the left side and about a 1/4 of an inch on the
right side.  It also "streaked" -- the area to the right of any open window
was of a different shade than the same texture above and below.

My second monitor doesnt crackle.  Also it's now only 3/8 on the left and
1/4 on the right.  But it still streaks very badly.

I saw another persons B&W monitor -- same thing.  I gave up.  I sure wish
Apple had just sent my color monitor; these B&W ones are REAL #######.

- mike

ps: but the rest of the Mac is wonderful.... And _Real Soon Now_ A/UX.
--
newton@csvax.caltech.edu	{ucbvax!cithep,amdahl}!cit-vax!newton
Caltech 256-80			818-356-6771 (afternoons,nights)

		I'm never biased...

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/06/87)

In article <4136@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> newton@cit-vax.UUCP (Mike Newton) writes:
>Speaking of bad monitors...
>
>I strongly advise against MAC II buyers buying the Mac II B&W monitor.  I've
>already gone through two, and have given up.

[miscellaneous monitor defects reported]

I've seen a number of Apple monochrom and color monitors, and the only
thing that's wrong with them is that the images are rotated a bit; otherwise
the images are very clear and rock steady, and the color monitor is
absoultely beautiful.

I wonder if Apple is using the free monitor scheme to dump some below-spec
screens??????

My Sony 1302 has stabilized a bit on its own, after I threatened to
replace it with an oscilloscope. :-)

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy quote)                       *

loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks) (10/08/87)

in article <4136@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, newton@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mike Newton) says:

> Speaking of bad monitors...
> I strongly advise against MAC II buyers buying the Mac II B&W monitor.
>
> Well, my first monitor crackled/poped.  It was also badly aligned -- about
[...]
I too am not as pleased with the monochrome monitor as I would like
to be.  Mine doesn't show any of the problems mentioned above, but the
contrast just isn't near as good as the original mac monitors.  My
monitor image sags a little in the top left corner; but it's not
untolerable.  I have adjusted the contrast and intensity (both with
the external knobs and the pots under the access panel on the back);
and can get a setting that seems alright (under normal office
lighting) until I go back to an old 512KE we have and see how much
nicer it is.  Before going back to mine, I go down the hall and look at
the 19" SuperMac monochrome monitor another person has; see how
completely washed out that image is; so that mine doesn't seem so bad
anymore.  Oh well, maybe I can exchange the monochrome for a color next
year when Apple starts up its trade-in program.

--
Cliff Loucks   [gatech | ucbvax]!unmvax!sandia!intvax!loucks
Sandia National Labs, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Poor New Mexico;  So far from Heaven, and so close to Texas.

dlt@csun.UUCP (Dave Thompson) (10/09/87)

In article <4136@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> newton@cit-vax.UUCP (Mike Newton) writes:
>I strongly advise against MAC II buyers buying the Mac II B&W monitor.  I've
>already gone through two, and have given up.

[errata deleted ...]

Well, my Apple monochrome monitor is working just fine, thankyou!  The
alignment is reasonably good--the upper right corner might be off
a bit or so.  From what I've seen of the color monitors they don't
seem as sharp as the monochrome.  Until I actually *see* the Apple
color unit and find it acceptable, I don't plan to get the color.
Color's nice (I suppose) but there really isn't any software
available yet that does much with it.  And then there's the not
so minor problem of an output device.  Color laser printers are
a ways off (affordable or not).

	Dave

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (10/12/87)

The original poster of the "Problems with Apple Monitors" message
noted one symptom that I don't believe is the fault of the Apple
monochrome monitor.  Specifically, s/he mentioned that the screen
background (gray) appeared somewhat streaky and white immediately to
the right of an open window.

I can see the same symptom on my Apple color monitor, which is a
rather different beast than the monochrome monitor.  In fact, I can
also see a slight dark shadow to the right of the text within the
MacKermit window I'm looking at right now, so the problem isn't just
one of "too bright".  I'd hazard a guess that the slight streakiness I
see is due to some strange behavior in the Apple video card, or in an
interaction between card, cable, and monitor.  Impedence mismatch,
leading to standing waves, perhaps?

Can anybody from Apple shed a bit of light on this?