[comp.sys.mac] A Design Philosophy

norman@sdics.ucsd.EDU (Donald A. Norman) (10/05/87)

I vowed not to respond to this sort of thing, but I can't let bad
design attitudesslip by.

If a design flaw leads to errors, it isn't the user who should be
blamed for making the error.  Telling the user about the danger is not
sufficient.  The proper design avoids the possibily of the error in
the first place.  Users are human, and humans err.  (It is a
fundamental part of our operation, in part, I believe because many of
the information processing features that make us reliable, creative,
and imaginiative have as side effects error.  (This is an informed,
professional opinion, on which I have written much.)

What leads to this weird set of statements that would appear to have
nothing to do with Macs?

Complaints about those miserable stickers that manufacturers put on
their discs.  That won't scrape off and have to be cut.  That serve no
purpose that I can discover, except that some lawyer probably likes
them.  And that can lead to damage of the drive if they are not
removed and if the user inserts the disk with too much force.

Worse, a psychologist (who should take the side of the user) writes,
>In article <3907@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) writes:
> You should not blame the company because you didn't
>look especially when the standard practice is to sticker the gate closed.
> Complaining about a company because the individual user is careless is
> not too bright.

What a blow to those of us in the Human-Computer Interaction
profession.  Or who care about and preach User-Centered Design.  I
hereby sentence you to read The Psychology of Everyday Things.  When
it finally gets published (March, 1988).

Donald A. Norman
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California 92093
norman@nprdc.arpa    	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!ics!norman
norman@sdics.ucsd.edu	norman%sdics.ucsd.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) (10/10/87)

In article <399@sdics.ucsd.EDU> norman@sdics.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) writes:
>If a design flaw leads to errors, it isn't the user who should be
>blamed for making the error.  Telling the user about the danger is not
>sufficient.  The proper design avoids the possibily of the error in
>the first place.  Users are human, and humans err.  (It is a
>fundamental part of our operation, in part, I believe because many of
>the information processing features that make us reliable, creative,
>and imaginiative have as side effects error.  (This is an informed,
>professional opinion, on which I have written much.)

Here Here! (There? There?)

When the Macintosh was introduced in Feb (?) 1984, Apple put one up on
stage and, with a specially hacked up macintalk file, had it introduce
itself with an amplifier and a microphone.

The text, which I remember almost verbatim and which came (I believe)
from the first glossy pamphlet produced, said that Apple engineers
"worked night and day, and a few legal holidays, teaching tiny silicon
chips about people: how they make mistakes and change their minds. ."

Now just when, pray tell, did we teach the Mac ( or for that matter,
any other hardware, software, peripheralware, or etcware) that it no
longer had to compensate for the MISTAKES OF PEOPLE.
--
Steve Humphrey                                         USPS:    P.O. Box 1285
humphrey@skat.usc.edu (NOT castor.usc.edu anymore!)          Dixon, CA  95620

In article <4665@oberon.USC.EDU> humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) writes:
>Now just when, pray tell, did we teach the Mac ( or for that matter,
>any other hardware, software, peripheralware, or etcware) that it no
>longer had to compensate for the MISTAKES OF PEOPLE.

Oh, sure Steve.  I suppose you would have a little dialog box :
	_________________________________
	|				|
	|  You have just spilled your   |
	|  coffee into the top of your  |
	|  Mac.  Please don't do this.  |
	|		______		|
	|		| OK |		|
	|		------		|
	---------------------------------

Geez!  Some people!

--

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (10/12/87)

In article <4670@oberon.USC.EDU> humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) writes:

>Oh, sure Steve.  I suppose you would have a little dialog box :

 >	---------------------------------
 >	|				|
 >	|  You have just spilled your   |
 >	|  coffee into the top of your  |
 >	|  Mac.  Please don't do this.  |
 >	|		______		|
 >	|		| OK |		|
 >	|		------		|
 >	---------------------------------

Actually, the Lisa (also known as the mac XL) was designed so you could
spill coffee into the keyboard safely.  You had to look in the keyboard
troubleshooting section of the manual for the directions for cleaning
sticky, dried coffee out of the keyboard (you held it under a faucet
and a clever series of barriers kept the water away from the works.)
I don't know if the Macintoshes have the same technology, but they sure
don't mention it, either on screen or in the manual.

You've seen the quote from Duck's Breath Mystery Theater in the demo
stacks that came with hypercard explaining how to tell the difference
between a personal computer and a coffee machine.

--- David Phillip Oster            --A Sun 3/60 makes a poor Macintosh II.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --A Macintosh II makes a poor Sun 3/60.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

norman@sdics.ucsd.EDU (Donald A. Norman) (10/12/87)

In an earlier note I argued that correct design philosophy would solve
the errors of incorrect disk insertion (rather well done now, by the
way), of not knowing why the apple menubar symbol was blinking, and
similar issues.  (The notification manager sounds like the correct approach to
the alarm clock, mail, and other notification problems.)

Now to take care of coffee spills. A respndent complained that trying
to avoid all human frailty would require a warning about not spilling
coffee into the top of the minitor.

How do you design against that kind of error?  There are several
answers.  (Why do you care?  Because the same philosophy and approach
will also lead to better interfaces and program interaction with the user.)

First, any sensible task analysis would indicate that people really do
drink things while working, that these things spill, and that
therefore they had better be guarded against.

One solution: forbid drinking in the workplace (a common approach.  I
fordbid it myself.  I violate my own rule.)

Another solution: design the workplace so that there is a place to put
the coffee cup, coke can, ...      Any airline cockpit or Macintosh
workplace that doesn't leave room for the drink container is asking
for trouble.

Finally, design the top of the monitor so that it won't support a
cofee cup or coke can.  Make it rounded, or tilted or pointed.  (That
would also stop people from placing their manuals on top of the
monitor, thus blocking the ventilation and cooking the electronics.)

This note really belongs in cog.engineering, but that would require
establishing the entire context of the discusion in that newsgroup.  A
problem of design, again.

Donald A. Norman
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
University of California, San Diego