[comp.sys.mac] Blinking Apple Menu

hcn1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (howard charles nusbaum) (10/05/87)

We are having a strange problem with one of our Mac+ computers.
We are running System 4.1 and Finder 5.5 with an older DataFrame 20
hard disk.  The Apple Menu has started flashing on this machine and
we have been unable to get it to quit.  We have replaced the system
pulled out the battery for 15 minutes and tried various other sorts
of machinations and incantations.  Nothing seems to work!  Although
this flashing apple doesn't hurt anything, it is a little bizarre
and I would appreciate any info as to the cause and the fix.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Howard C. Nusbaum
Dept. of Behavioral Sciences
5848 S. University Ave.
The University of Chicago
Chicago, IL  60637
(312) 702-6468

B5U@PSUVMA.BITNET (George A. Brownfield) (10/05/87)

I know this sounds stupid, but in the Mac labs here, the apple in the menu
blinking usually is from the alarm clock going off. Go under the apple, use the
DA Alarm Clock, and turn the alarm clock off by "opening" the clock (using the
trigger on the side), and see if the alarm clock icon looks like an alarm clock
going off. If not, that's not the problem. If so, click on the alarm clock icon
and a second digital clock will appear. Turn off it's "trigger", and the
blinking should go away.
-------
 George A. Brownfield                          B5U @ PSUVMA (preferred)
 Aerospace Engineering Major                   B5U @ PSUVM
 The Pennsylvania State University             GAB @ PSUECL

 BITNET: B5U @ PSUVM, GAB @ PSUECL
 UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!psuvax1!psuvma.bitnet!b5u

 "We don't get laid much, but we're building your future."
               - engineering majors, according to Robin Williams

hallett@lear.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (10/06/87)

In article <2366@sphinx.uchicago.edu> hcn1@sphinx.UUCP (howard charles nusbaum) writes:

>We are having a strange problem with one of our Mac+ computers.
>We are running System 4.1 and Finder 5.5 with an older DataFrame 20
>hard disk.  The Apple Menu has started flashing on this machine and
>we have been unable to get it to quit.  We have replaced the system
>pulled out the battery for 15 minutes and tried various other sorts
>of machinations and incantations.  Nothing seems to work!  Although
>this flashing apple doesn't hurt anything, it is a little bizarre
>and I would appreciate any info as to the cause and the fix.
>
>Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
>Howard C. Nusbaum
>Dept. of Behavioral Sciences
>5848 S. University Ave.
>The University of Chicago
>Chicago, IL  60637
>(312) 702-6468

Jeepers, to borrow a running gag from rec.humor, shouldn't this one be
#56?

Just because the Mac is billed to be the 'manual-less" computer
doesn't mean you shouldn't read it!!!!!!!  Read the part about the
desk accessories that come with your System.  You'd have found out
that it is blinking because the Alarm went off in the Alarm Clock.
Your dealer could probably have helped you as well.

Jeff

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)

patel@smu (10/06/87)

Try turning the alarm off with the Alarm Clock DA.

freedman@calgary.UUCP (Dan Freedman) (10/06/87)

In article <2366@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, hcn1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (howard charles nusbaum) writes:

> We are having a strange problem with one of our Mac+ computers.
> The Apple Menu has started flashing on this machine ...

Could it be that the alarm clock desk accessory has gone off?  Pull down the
alarm clock desk accessory, and make sure that the alarm is switched off.  Your
Mac owners guide should tell you how.

	Dan Freedman
	University of Calgary Computer Science Department

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (10/07/87)

In article <2366@sphinx.uchicago.edu> hcn1@sphinx.UUCP (howard charles nusbaum) writes:

>The Apple Menu has started flashing on this machine and
>we have been unable to get it to quit.  We have replaced the system
>pulled out the battery for 15 minutes and tried various other sorts
>of machinations and incantations.  Nothing seems to work!

Um, perchance did someone set the alarm clock to go off at
a specific hour?  The apple flashes if the alarm has gone off
and not been reset since....

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

crimmins@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (10/07/87)

/* Written  8:22 am  Oct  5, 1987 by hcn1@sphinx.uchicago.edu in uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

> We are having a strange problem with one of our Mac+ computers.
> We are running System 4.1 and Finder 5.5 with an older DataFrame 20
> hard disk.  The Apple Menu has started flashing on this machine and
> we have been unable to get it to quit.

Have you checked to make sure the alarm is not turned on?  If the alarm is
turned on, the machine will beep and the apple menu will flash until
you open the alarm clock and shut it off.  As far as I know, this is the
only thing that causes the apple menu to flash.

----
                 Dan Crimmins                    crimmins@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
            University of Illinois               {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!
  Computing Services Office - Micro Consulting        uiucdcs!uiucuxc!crimmins

mlr@houtz.UUCP (M.ROBINS) (10/08/87)

I find it strange that there have been a couple of messages about
blinking Apple menu's is this newgroup. The answers given each time
to the fellows question was that the alarm clock must have tripped.

Well----- I am also running a Mac+ and I just started to see the
Apple menu blink. So--- I checked to see if I had my alarm clock
set. Guess what----- I don't even have an alarm clock DA installed.

Now what.

Does anyone know what this really is??? (Is the battery going??)

					Mike Robins
					houtz!mlr

gae@osupyr.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) (10/08/87)

In article <1076@houtz.UUCP> mlr@houtz.UUCP (M.ROBINS) writes:

>Well----- I am also running a Mac+ and I just started to see the
>Apple menu blink. So--- I checked to see if I had my alarm clock
>set. Guess what----- I don't even have an alarm clock DA installed.

You should INSTALL the alarm clock DA in order to turn off the alarm clock.

How did it get set in the first place?  Maybe some gremlin using your machine
at night.  Cosmic rays.  Run-away program just before it bombed.  Who knows?

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     edgar@osupyr.UUCP

wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade S. Blomgren) (10/08/87)

In article <1076@houtz.UUCP>, mlr@houtz.UUCP (M.ROBINS) writes:
> I find it strange that there have been a couple of messages about
> blinking Apple menu's is this newgroup. The answers given each time
> to the fellows question was that the alarm clock must have tripped.
> Well----- I am also running a Mac+ and I just started to see the
> Apple menu blink. So--- I checked to see if I had my alarm clock
> set. Guess what----- I don't even have an alarm clock DA installed.
> Now what.
>
> Does anyone know what this really is??? (Is the battery going??)

It really is...the alarm clock. The alarm clock DA is just a mechanism for
setting the date and time, and setting the alarm function. The date, time
and alarm function are built in, regardless of whether you have the DA
installed. To get rid of your blinking apple, you need to boot from a
system disk that has the alarm clock DA installed, or install it temporarily
in your system, and turn off the alarm. Really. Trust me.

Wade Blomgren
UCSD ACS
wade@sdacs.ucsd.edu

sarrel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc A. Sarrel) (10/08/87)

Even if you remove the Alarm Clock DA, it is my understanding that the alarm
will still be set (assuming that it was set when the DA was removed).  All that
the Alarm Clock DA allows you to do is _change_ the time, date and alarm
clock settings.  If you remove the DA the settings are still there.

--
Marc Sarrel			The Ohio State University
611 Harely Dr #1		Department of Computer and Information Science

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (10/08/87)

In article <1076@houtz.UUCP> mlr@houtz.UUCP (M.ROBINS) writes:
>Well----- I am also running a Mac+ and I just started to see the
>Apple menu blink. So--- I checked to see if I had my alarm clock
>set. Guess what----- I don't even have an alarm clock DA installed.

I hope this is the last word on this incredibly boring topic. The blinking
can be caused by other software that has an "Alarm" function. Not all
system files you own have the same collection of DAs installed.

To turn it off:
1.) find a disk with Alarm Clock on the desk accessories menu (apple menu)
one of Apple's standard distribution disks will do.
2.) open Alarm clock
3.) click on the little "lever" in the alarm clock window
4.) click on the picture of the alarm clock
5.) flick the siwtch to "off".

--- David Phillip Oster            --A Sun 3/60 makes a poor Macintosh II.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --A Macintosh II makes a poor Sun 3/60.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

hcn1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (howard charles nusbaum) (10/08/87)

Thanks to everyone who graciously assisted in solving
our problem with the blinking Apple.  (For those few people
left in the world who like me did not know this -- the blinking
Apple means your alarm clock went off.)  We had this problem
spontaneously occur on three of our Macs after running
some experimental code.  Interestingly enough this problem
showed up despite the fact that we did not ever use the
Alarm Clock on these systems.

A couple of individuals pointed out that the information
regarding the blinking Apple is in the Owner's guide.  In
defense of my dumb question, and for the sake of greater tolerance
everywhere, let me add the following:  I did indeed read the
documentation accompanying the Mac when I first bought it
over a year ago.  However, I have never used the Alarm Clock DA
and so I was not familiar with its behavior.  Unlike many people
I do not memorize manuals -- I refer to them.

Perhaps more important, I would point out that there is no index
entry in the manual for "blinking Apple" and it is not listed
under troubleshooting (since it is not a "problem"). Therefore
without knowing the link between the Alarm Clock and the symptom
I could not diagnose the problem.  I truly appreciate the
help provided to us.  Thank you.

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (10/08/87)

The final word on the Blinking Apple:

It doesn't matter whether you have an Alarm Clock DA installed or not.
The alarm time is set in battery backed RAM and you're apple menu will not
stop blinking until you get a hold of the Alarm Clock DA and turn off the
alarm clock.
There is no other reason for a blinking menu!!!

          Lunarmobiscuit

syap@ur-tut.UUCP (James Fitzwilliam) (10/09/87)

In article <1076@houtz.UUCP> mlr@houtz.UUCP (M.ROBINS) writes:

>Well----- I am also running a Mac+ and I just started to see the
>Apple menu blink. So--- I checked to see if I had my alarm clock
>set. Guess what----- I don't even have an alarm clock DA installed.
>Does anyone know what this really is??? (Is the battery going??)

Let me assume you mean "don't have [the DA] installed _on_that_disk_."
The alarm clock setting seems to be one of those things that the Mac
keeps in its little battery vault between uptimes. So if you leave the
DA set for say, 7:30 PM on one disk, shut off the machine, then power
up at 8:07 PM with another disk, the alarm will "go off" DA or no DA.

Ironically enough I only figured this out for sure a little while ago
when this happened to me on HyperCard, practically the only disk I
_don't_ have Alarm Clock installed on!			(-:

Even if you have the DA nowhere, someone else may have unknowingly set
your alarm, or if you have a new Mac it may have even come that way
from the factory. (You never know).

						JMF

arpa: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
uucp: rochester!ur-tut!syap

Charlie_Alan_Bounds@cup.portal.com (10/09/87)

>Howard C. Nusbaum writes:
>The Apple Menu has started flashing on this machine and
>we have been unable to get it to quit.

Sounds to me like the alarm clock has gone off.  Usually turning off the
alarm will cure your problem.  I don't understand why pulling the battery
doesn't fix your problem.  Possibly the time when the alarm is supposed to
go off is recorded in the system file and when you pull the battery and then
reset the time it goes off again.

Charlie                Charlie@cup.portal.com
                       sun!portal!cup.portal.com!charlie

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (10/09/87)

In article <houtz.1076> mlr@houtz.UUCP (M.ROBINS) writes:
>I find it strange that there have been a couple of messages about
>blinking Apple menu's is this newgroup. The answers given each time
>to the fellows question was that the alarm clock must have tripped.
>
>Well----- I am also running a Mac+ and I just started to see the
>Apple menu blink. So--- I checked to see if I had my alarm clock
>set. Guess what----- I don't even have an alarm clock DA installed.

The fact that you do not have the alarm clock DA installed
has nothing to do with your alarm clock going off!!!!

The alarm clock is actually part of the system and I think the
time to go off is stored in parameter ram.

The alarm clock DA is what enables you to turn it on and off
as well as to set it.

Install it and turn your alarm clock off!!!!  Or use something
like other or double apple and then you dont have to install
the DA.  So it is your alarm clock!!!!!

Have fun

>Now what.
>
>Does anyone know what this really is??? (Is the battery going??)

No your battery is NOT going!!! It is your alarm clock!!!!

>					Mike Robins
>					houtz!mlr

Allan Foster

Hey, You can't do that,  You're DEAD     --The living Daylights

Allan Foster                 UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
GEnie  : A.FOSTER                          AppleLink : UG0035
USPS   : 1340 SE 89 Portland OR 97216  Voice : (503) 257-0573
Voice :  (503) 252-1351           CSNet : afoster@Oregon-Grad

tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) (10/10/87)

After read Mike Robins article I decided to post this so
we can get rid of the wasteful articles about the blinking
apple menu ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!

1) The blinking apple IS the alarm going off

2) If you dont have an alarm clock DA installed, INSTALL ONE
   and then turn the alarm off

Now lets not see anything more about the bloody blinking
apple menu.

: Tom Carstensen              Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM :
: Mentor Graphics             GEnie:                         :

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (10/10/87)

In article <2396@sphinx.uchicago.edu> Howard Charles Nusbaum writes:
>A couple of individuals pointed out that the information
>regarding the blinking Apple is in the Owner's guide.  In
>defense of my dumb question, and for the sake of greater tolerance
>everywhere, let me add the following:  I did indeed read the
>documentation accompanying the Mac when I first bought it over a year ago.

Sure. That's what they all say. "Oh, I didn't read MY owner's manual."
Or "oh I lost MY owner's manual." Come on, admit it ---  You went and copied
your friend's Mac, didn't you? That's why you don't have an owner's manual.

Kidding aside, yes, the blinking apple menu got me too, a few months back.
(I never read the Mac owner's manual, mainly because I never saw one.)
After half an hour of blinking apple, I got so annoyed (and my program
was giving me a headache) that I simply swapped the blinking
apple Mac with the next one (this was in a microcomputer lab... I could've
gone to another Mac, I guess, but I wanted to keep on using that
particular HD.) Next day when I came in the apple had stopped blinking and
I never found out why it had started in the first place.

Anyway, seems like a dialog box that has the three options

   [OK]     [Snooze 10 minutes]     [Throw Mac across the room]

might've been better. Or (better yet, more drastic, and guaranteed to
get your attention), the screen shifts down 30%, and the top section
starts flashing, in red and black, a box with the words "ALARM", oops, wrong
machine.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

milt@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Milt Sagen) (10/11/87)

To those of you who think to much as been said already about the blinking
apple:  Why then add your own two cents worth?

To those of you who regard the question as stupid:  There are no stupid
questions, only arrogant people giving answers.

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/11/87)

In article <966@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>Now lets not see anything more about the bloody blinking
>apple menu.

	Hm. As a customer support person, I get lots of questions ranging
from the simple (can't get "Hello World" to work), to the arcane (user is
trying to write an INIT to set up a multitasking environment using
multiple stacks).

	As such, I see now (I didn't used to) that it's important to
realize that in such a high-population set (the set of all readers of
comp.sys.mac, or the set of all LightspeedC users, or the set of
all Macintosh users), there is going to be a large percentage of novices.
It's very important to remember that we were all at one time computer
(or Macintosh) novices, and to give due consideration to those who
still are.

	I agree, 10 responses to a single question is a nuisance to
read and is, to put it bluntly, a waste of space and time. I've made
the mistake of responding to a question before reading further, and
ended up contributing to a crowd of responses. Therefore, read *all*
of the followups to a question and see if it hasn't already been
answered. It'll save time, bytes, and frustration.

	What about a comp.sys.mac.newuser? Are there enough new
user questions to warrant the creation of such a newsgroup? If not
then how about a moderated newsgroup?

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy quote)                       *

Charlie_Alan_Bounds@cup.portal.com (10/11/87)

Mike Robins writes:
I find it strange that there have been a couple of messages about
blinking Apple menu's is this newgroup. The answers given each time
to the fellows question was that the alarm clock must have tripped.

Well----- I am also running a Mac+ and I just started to see the
Apple menu blink. So--- I checked to see if I had my alarm clock
set. Guess what----- I don't even have an alarm clock DA installed.

What I found is that if you set the alarm clock and let it go off, then
remove it with the F/DA mover, that DOES NOT stop the apple menu from
blinking.  You must re-install the alarm clock and turn it off.  Then
remove the alarm clock if you don't want it.

Charlie Bounds               Charlie@cup.portal.com
                             sun!portal!cup.portal.com!charlie

graifer@net1.ucsd.edu (Dan Graifer) (10/12/87)

In article <966@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>After read Mike Robins article I decided to post this so
>we can get rid of the wasteful articles about the blinking
>apple menu ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!
>
>1) The blinking apple IS the alarm going off
>
>2) If you dont have an alarm clock DA installed, INSTALL ONE
>   and then turn the alarm off
>
>Now lets not see anything more about the bloody blinking
>apple menu.
>
>:------------------------------------------------------------:
>: Tom Carstensen              Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM :
>: Mentor Graphics             GEnie:                         :
>:------------------------------------------------------------:

Hey, ease off!  We are all pleased that Macs are rapidly penetrating the
University and Business world.  Unfortunately, this means that we can
safely predict that some poor new Mac user is going to come along every
3-6 months with a question that we all know the answer to because it has
been discussed ad-nauseum on this forum in the past.  Let's answer these
requests politely, so that we don't scare the neophytes and amateurs (me!)
off the net! If it really bothers you, put "blinking apple" into your Kill
file for this newsgroup!

Sorry about the flame, the tone of the above response to a legitimate
question rubbed me the wrong way.
                              Dan Graifer
                              graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU
Disclaimer: Nobody ever listens to me anyways; Why should they start now?