[comp.sys.mac] any reason NOT to buy a 512K mac cheap?

feldy@CS.UCLA.EDU (10/07/87)

A friend has the opportunity to get a 512K mac with 800K internal
and 800k external drive plus macwrite,paint,draw for about $1000.

Any reason not to do so?  He's not a bigtime computer user. He'll just
be doing word processing and maybe a little spreadsheet.

Any problems with old roms vs new roms etc??

Thanks.

Any replies can be mailed to me.

Bob Felderman
3732L Boelter Hall	         feldy@cs.ucla.edu
University of California   ...!{ames,trwspp,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!feldy
Los Angeles, CA 90024
(213) 825-2841

ostroff@oswego.UUCP (Boyd Ostroff ) (10/13/87)

In article <8509@shemp.UCLA.EDU> feldy@CS.UCLA.EDU (Bob Felderman) writes:
>A friend has the opportunity to get a 512K mac with 800K internal
>and 800k external drive plus macwrite,paint,draw for about $1000.
>
>Any reason not to do so?

This is a questionable deal.  At Apple University Consortium prices, we
can buy a new Mac Plus (1 Meg with SCSI port) for $1249.  The last time
I checked, it would cost about $600 for Apple to upgrade a 512KE to a plus,
and I understand that they will discontinue the upgrades soon.

On the other hand, I own a 512KE Mac and find it very useful.  I know there
are new programs coming out (MultiFinder/Hypercard/etc) which need at least
1 Meg, but I am able to run everything I want for now.  (-: I remember buying
an Apple II in 1978 and agonizing on the decision of buying the 4K or 16K
model :-)  I use an Apple 20 meg hard disk with my 512KE and have no complaints.

Recently I saw an unenhanced Mac 512 (400K disk & old roms) sell for $600
including a 400K external disk.

See if they will come down a little on the price...

--
UUCP:      seismo!rochester!rocksvax!oswego!ostroff
US MAIL:   Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director, Department of Theatre