[comp.sys.mac] Warning: use of "Pyro" and Opcode's MIDIMAC Sequencer

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (10/13/87)

This is an FYI to those of you who may try to use Opcode Systems MIDIMAC
Sequencer and "Pyro" (screen saver) on your Mac (with a Hard Disk).

I have been in touch with the tech people at Opcode systems regarding several
System crashes I had this Saturday night while I was using their MIDIMAC
Sequencer 2.54 (4 crashes to be exact, all during "takes."
It is their recommendation that I NOT use
"Software Supply's" Pyro software while running MIDIMAC seq., particularly on
the Mac's Finder 4.1/System 5.5, if I am running off an external Hard Disk.
I should expect problems otherwise.

The irony of this is that about 3 weeks ago I was told by the Opcode people
NOT to use Macsbug (screen saver) with the above configuration because it
would cause system crashes.  However, one of the Opcode techs at that time
told me Pyro should be alright to use on my system setup.

Well, I spent $40+ with Computeware in California to buy "Suitcase" (which comes
with Pyro) and now I find that contrary to what the Opcode people told me
I CAN'T use Pyro.  Forty-dollars down the tubes!

So to save the rest of you this grief, I'm warning you in advance:  DON'T USE
PYRO OR MACSBUG with Opcode System's MIDIMAC SEQUENCER!

						Jim Collymore

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (10/13/87)

In article <548@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:

>I have been in touch with the tech people at Opcode systems regarding several
>System crashes Sequencer 2.54 (4 crashes to be exact, all during "takes."
>It is their recommendation that I NOT use "Software Supply's" Pyro software
>while running MIDIMAC seq., particularly on the Mac's Finder 4.1/System 5.5,
>if I am running off an external Hard Disk. I should expect problems otherwise.
>

>						Jim Collymore

Interesting...can you elaborate a bit more Jim?  I've noticed that recently
I've been getting alot of deadlocks on launch when I use Sequencer 2.54.
I.e., I'd double-click Sequencer and about 50% of the time the program would
freeze upoon launching (apparently finished loading, but frozen mouse).  I'm
using Finder 6.0b<something>, System 5.5, Pyro!, and a Dataframe 20.  I never
did suspect it was a compability problem between Pyro! and Sequencer though.

As an aside, does anyone know why professional music software developers
can't seem to write code that follows Macintosh compability guidelines?  It
seems that the first thing to break (sometimes the only thing to break) is
music software.  Take the Mac II as an example - aside from Midipaint, which
was written recently, no sequencer program works on it.  Even Performer
2.xx, which was just released recently, won't work on a Mac II.  Meanwhile,
the guys at Opcode claim that they've been had since Apple changed the sound
manager on them...at the same time pre-Mac II Videoworks runs perfectly on a
II.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |

rusty@velveeta (rusty wright) (10/14/87)

I had trouble with Pyro on an SE with switcher.  Once I removed Pyro
from the system folder it started working again.

	rusty c. wright
	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu ucbvax!weyl!rusty