[comp.sys.mac] MacPascal on a Mac II

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (09/26/87)

MacPascal V2.0 bombs on a Mac II - can anyone offer a solution? Is there
a newer version?

Thanks in advance,
Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-02-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@seismo.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Andrew Singer) (09/28/87)

In article <1122@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

>MacPascal V2.0 bombs on a Mac II - can anyone offer a solution? Is there
>a newer version?

There's not a newer version that I know of, and Mac Pascal is supported by
Apple. I get the impression, however, that you may be well served by
Lightspeed Pascal, which *does* run on the II, costs the same, and
has the added advantages of being a compiler.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

Uucp: {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer
Internet/Arpanet: singer@harvard.harvard.edu

No one writes programs that work right the first time. If they did,
I'd be out of a job.

ir353@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Matthew Grayson) (09/29/87)

In article <2894@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (really Rich Siegel)
writes:
>There's not a newer version that I know of, and Mac Pascal is supported by
>Apple. I get the impression, however, that you may be well served by
>Lightspeed Pascal, which *does* run on the II, costs the same, and
>has the added advantages of being a compiler.
>
>		--Rich
>
>Richard M. Siegel
>Customer Support Representative
>THINK Technologies, Inc.

Of course, the author of the above article has no connection with
the makers of Lightspeed pascal. He's just mentioning it to be
helpful :-) :-) :-).

Now I don't have any connection with the makers of LSP, and I think
it's the best programming environment since sliced bread. When it
supports 68881 code, I'll dump MPW in the waste basket. (Yes, I only
write applications under 300K, or whatever the macho limit is for
MPW afficianados.) THINK has done a terrific job preserving the
ease of Mac Pascal and upping the power. BRAVO.

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Andrew Singer) (09/29/87)

In article <3372@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU> ir353@sdcc6.ucsd.edu.UUCP (Matthew Grayson) writes:
>Of course, the author of the above article has no connection with
>the makers of Lightspeed pascal. He's just mentioning it to be
>helpful :-) :-) :-).

	As a matter of fact, yes. I was simply stating the fact that
Macintosh Pascal is no longer supported (by Apple, who's supposed to support
it), and that Lightspeed Pascal is the best alternative, since it's
100% source-compatible with Macintosh Pascal. For now, ignore the
fact that THINK pays me. :-) They pay me for what I do for customer
support, and not for what I say on the net. No free advertising from
*this* guy. :-|

>Now I don't have any connection with the makers of LSP, and I think
>it's the best programming environment since sliced bread. When it
>supports 68881 code, I'll dump MPW in the waste basket. (Yes, I only
>write applications under 300K, or whatever the macho limit is for
>MPW afficianados.) THINK has done a terrific job preserving the
>ease of Mac Pascal and upping the power. BRAVO.

	Thank you for your kind words, and I shall pass them along to
the person who's taking the blame-- uh, working on LSP. :-)

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (10/05/87)

In article <2894@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Andrew Singer) writes:
>In article <1122@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:
>>
>>MacPascal V2.0 bombs on a Mac II - can anyone offer a solution? Is there
>>a newer version?
>>

>There's not a newer version that I know of, and Mac Pascal is supported by
>Apple.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a 2.1 MacPascal because 2.0 was buggy (can
anyone here say "Word 3.00"?). However, I don't know what the upgrade policy
is/was, and, since Apple is no longer supporting it (a fact which UW-Madison
found out AFTER it bought 100+ copies that didn't work right), you are probably
better off with Lightspeed Pascal.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

nakata@Lindy.STANFORD.EDU (Lance Nakata) (10/14/87)

This info is a bit late since I'm behind on news, but MacPascal 2.1 is
the latest version I know of.  It is not copy protected in a strict
sense: you must make sure 4 special files are in the System Folder or
with the application itself.  It is not fully Mac II compatible; I can
get it to run on some programs when in black/white mode with 2 shades
of gray, but that's about it.  I think LightSpeed Pascal is a better
package.  At least it doesn't flail when you put a lot of comments in
the code.

Lance Nakata
ARPANET: nakata@lindy.stanford.edu
CSNET:   nakata%lindy.stanford.edu@relay.cs.net
USENET:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs}!lindy.stanford.edu!nakata