[comp.sys.mac] Intermail owners take note/Intermail buyers should read

fitz@CIVE.RI.CMU.EDU (Kerien Fitzpatrick) (10/13/87)

For those of you who own Intermail and don't know it....Internet has sold
Intermail to Microsoft.  I purchased Intermail back in January of 1987 and
was told at that time that I would have the ability to create mailing
groups.  Alas, it is October and our mail list does not have groups so
people have to sort through 50 names.  Intermail has been fairly reliable,
but it has numerous shortcomings that keep it from being considered a mature
product.

Pros:
*  Installs as a DA.
*  Somewhat fast.
*  Does not require dedicated server.
*  Works on an AppleShare server with LaserShare running as a concurrent
application.
*  Works with seemingly all applications.

Cons:
*  Can't compress the data file. Our data file frequently grows to 9Mb.
*  If you want to wipe out the data file you will need to reenter every
username and password.
*  Can't print the userlist to aid in reentering names.
*  Messages can be up to 32,000 characters, but you can only print the first
page of the message.
*  Messages that were saved to a file are file type Document.  You must open
MacWrite or Word first then open the file.
*  Tab key switches between fields and cannot produce an actual tab.

I would love to have Inbox, but since they don't site license I would have
to purchase another copy every time a Mac is added to the network.  Maybe
Inbox should think about site licensing their product.  What I liked the
most when Internet owned Intermail was that you could talk to a person that
knew more than how to answer a phone.  It takes multiple calls to Microsoft
to obtain any information.

Is there anyone from Inbox out there who will take pity on a distraught
person who, besides his own research work, manages a network of 32 Macs, a
couple file servers, gateway boxes, and on and on.

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/14/87)

In article <166@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> fitz@CIVE.RI.CMU.EDU (Kerien Fitzpatrick) writes:
>I would love to have Inbox, but since they don't site license I would have
>to purchase another copy every time a Mac is added to the network.  Maybe
>Inbox should think about site licensing their product.  What I liked the

	It is true that we don't site-license InBox (or any of our other
products for that matter), however, we do offer quantity discounts on our
various products. I don't know the terms exactly (I'm customer support
for compilers :-)), but if you call Ellen Neavitt at 1-800-64-THINK she
will give you the details. And mention my name when you call... :-)

>Is there anyone from Inbox out there who will take pity on a distraught
>person who, besides his own research work, manages a network of 32 Macs, a
>couple file servers, gateway boxes, and on and on.

	InBox version 2.0 will work concurrently with AppleShare and TOPS,
and also works nicely with bridges (we have two Message Centers with two
Hayes InterBridges) and with all flavors of Macintosh and network (our
net is PhoneNet based).

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy daibuvicesir p, Aus
anglacyears