[comp.sys.mac] Can I use Switcher on my Mac SE

waldman@endor.harvard.edu (benjamin Waldman) (09/29/87)

I just tried to run Switcher 4.4 on my Mac SE (Sys 4.1/Finder 5.5),
but found that the Mac freezes as soon as Switcher starts.  Could it
be something in my system file, or does Switcher not work under Sys 4.1?

I tried looking for the value 02B6 in Switcher, using FEdit (Since this
was a reserved low memory area, previously unused, which is now used by
sys 4.1, and which led to the misfunctioning of MacTerminal), but did
not find it.

IS there any way I can run Switcher, or do I have to wait for
MultiFinder?

And by the way, when will MultiFinder be available?

				Thanks,
				Ben Waldman
				waldman@endor.harvard.edu

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Andrew Singer) (09/29/87)

In article <2900@husc6.UUCP> waldman@endor.UUCP (benjamin Waldman) writes:
>I just tried to run Switcher 4.4 on my Mac SE (Sys 4.1/Finder 5.5),

I think there's a newer version (5.1?) that should work better, but I'm
not sure -- I'm not a heavy Switcher user.

In any case, I am fairly sure that Switcher's not supported, due to
the imminent release of MultiFinder (translation: Real Soon Now).

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

Uucp: {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer
Internet/Arpanet: singer@harvard.harvard.edu

No one writes programs that work right the first time. If they did,
I'd be out of a job.

see1@sphinx.UUCP (09/30/87)

>>I just tried to run Switcher 4.4 on my Mac SE (Sys 4.1/Finder 5.5),
>
>I think there's a newer version (5.1?) that should work better, but I'm
>not sure -- I'm not a heavy Switcher user.

I am.  I'm using Switcher 5.1, with NO problems, on my SE.  I've used
Switcher 4.9 with no trouble as well.  Switcher has gone through quite a
few revisions since 4.4 -- have you not considered an upgrade?

Ellen Keyne Seebacher         ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!see1

appletse@dasys1.UUCP (Sue Goodin) (10/05/87)

Switcher is not compatible with current system software (4.1/5.5), and we are
not expecting any updates at this time since the announcement of MultiFinder.
MultiFinder should be shipping shortly, but I don't have a date yet.

--
Sue Goodin,TSE
Apple East Coast Tech Support    {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (10/05/87)

> Switcher is not compatible with current system software (4.1/5.5)...
> --
> Sue Goodin,TSE
> Apple East Coast Tech Support    {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\

I've heard this before.  I use (am using right now) switcher 5.1 under
system 4.1 and finder 5.5.  I have no problems.  Is something lurking
in the bushes, waiting to chomp me?  What problems are people having?
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

lccarson@watcgl.UUCP (10/14/87)

In article <174400058@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>> Switcher is not compatible with current system software (4.1/5.5)...
>> --
>> Sue Goodin,TSE
>> Apple East Coast Tech Support    {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
>
>I've heard this before.  I use (am using right now) switcher 5.1 under
>system 4.1 and finder 5.5.  I have no problems.  Is something lurking
>in the bushes, waiting to chomp me?  What problems are people having?
>----
>Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office
>Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
>IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

I came back to the newsgroup looking for confirmation of just
this problem -- I have System 4.0, Finder 5.4 and Switcher 5.1 on
my Mac SE, and problems with running Switcher.  I'm not looking
for answers here;  I think Sue summed it up neatly.  I'm just replying
to Steve's question about what lurks.

If I go into the dark woods of Switcher and bring up MacDraw, then
MacWrite and then try to open a file, then I spend as long as I have
the patience for watching the watch.  The file window comes up (empty)
with the correct file name on it, then the watch just sits there and
nothing ever happens.

That's just my combination of software, I guess, but there are
bogeymen out there.

lc