[comp.sys.mac] Mac II HD40 problems...WEIRD...

thomas@dartvax.UUCP (Thomas Summerall) (10/13/87)

My Hard Disk still won't boot, but is recognized by floppies...

I hate to beat this problem into the ground, but some really funky stuff has
happened for no apparent reason, and I may not be the only one they've
happened to...

First of all, thanks to everyone who sent me mail intructing me to replace
the system and finder, re-update them, reset the Parameter RAMs, or re-install
the SCSI driver.  I tried all of this, and more, including rebuilding the
desktop.  Now here is the weird stuff...

After trying all of the above, I realized that I was going to have to
reformat.  So I did.  I then re-installed the system with the installer.
Lo and Behold it would now boot!  I was happy that my 4 day old computer now
worked, although I had to reload all of the stuff I had lost.  I assumed that
some PD software had been the villain. So I reloaded about 25 megs worth of
stuff.  Then, just for the heck of it I tried to re-boot.  It didn't work.
It starts to boot, tells me Welcome, and then gives me System Error ID=01.

So I re-#@!$!%-formatted again and re-installed. It booted succesfully again!
This time, I rebooted after each time I uploaded about a meg's worth. It
successfully booted until I had up-loaded about 15 megs.  Then it started
crashing again. When I took almost all of it off it still crashed.  I had
yet to run any of the software I had loaded, so it wasn't that...

Is this not strange?  Even bizarre?  Perhaps this should be a new adventure
game.

Anyway, ID-01 is a memory error.  If it is correct, then why does my Mac
suddenly decide to check for non-existant memory at random times?

Can Anyone help me?  Has Anyone else had this problem?  Apple?  Are you there?
No one here can help me.  Everything else works fine, including double
clicking on the finder (with option-command) to make the HD my startup.

Thanks in advance...

thomas@dartvax * thomas%u2%dartmouth%csnet-relay.arpa  |  Thomas Summerall '88
                                                       |  H.B. 3445
"And all that the Lorax left here in this mess,        |  Dartmouth College
 Was a small pile of rocks, with one word: UNLESS"     |  Hanover, NH    03755
                                        -Dr. Seuss '25 |
==============================================================================7

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/14/87)

In article <7368@dartvax.UUCP> thomas@dartvax.UUCP (Thomas Summerall) writes:

>Anyway, ID-01 is a memory error.  If it is correct, then why does my Mac
>suddenly decide to check for non-existant memory at random times?

	ID 01 is a bus error, not a memory error. A bus error is signaled upon
attempt to reference an illegal memory address. The 68020 generates bus errors
instead of address errors (the famous Bomb 02), and this is what you're seeing.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy quote)                       *