[comp.sys.mac] 15 DAs

ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) (10/14/87)

Hi. I have a little problem. On my 1 Meg SE/HD20 system, I can't manage
to install more than 15 DAs! Why? Is there any way to get around this and
plug in DAs to my heart's content?`
Thanks,
----Sascha

Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!
New York, NY, USA            {hoptoad,bc-cis,aecom,orville,raspi}!/
--
Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!
New York, NY, USA            {hoptoad,bc-cis,aecom,orville,raspi}!/

david@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (10/14/87)

Just in case there is a line eater out there...............

Yes, Apple imposed a limit of 15 Da's thru the Font/DA mover. There are
several solutions to this problem, Double Apple, Da Switcher...But the
BEST solution is a product called SUITCASE from Software Supply, in
sunnyvale Ca. If you look back a couple of days in this notes group for
any references to Suitcase, Pyro or Powerstation, somebody gave the
address and phone number of where to order.

Essentially, Suitcase is an INIT that you put in the system folder
along with a folder called DAs that may contain up to 10 DA files.
In side of the Da files you can have however many DA's Apple allows you
to place in a DA file. Suitcase reads these files on booting up your Mac
and loads them into the Desk accy menu ALONG WITH the 1-15 DAs you might
already have loaded into your system. In addition, SUITCASE will let you
load das from da files on the fly. It does the same thing for FONTS
as well, but thats another story.

I highly recommend it!

David Williams at Hewlett Packard, Cupertino CA
Hypercard Jedi in Training

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (10/14/87)

In article <1642@dasys1.UUCP> ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) writes:
>Hi. I have a little problem. On my 1 Meg SE/HD20 system, I can't manage
>to install more than 15 DAs! Why? Is there any way to get around this and
>plug in DAs to my heart's content?`
>Thanks,
>----Sascha
>
>Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
>Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!
>New York, NY, USA            {hoptoad,bc-cis,aecom,orville,raspi}!/

There are several ways to install more than 15 DAs in your System

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (10/15/87)

In article <17624@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> robertj@yale.UUCP writes:
>In article <1642@dasys1.UUCP> ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) writes:
>>Hi. I have a little problem. On my 1 Meg SE/HD20 system, I can't manage
>>to install more than 15 DAs! Why? Is there any way to get around this and
>>plug in DAs to my heart's content?`
>>Thanks,
>>----Sascha
>
>There are several ways to install more than 15 DAs in your System

I'm sure that exactly what Sascha wanted to hear :-) Actually, there is a
product called Suitecase, which allows you have as many DAs avaliable at a
time that you want.  It also does fonts and fkeys.  Suitecase allows you to
keep DAs/Fonts/Fkeys in files other than the system file, and gives you
access to them as if they were in your system file.  It also comes with a
pretty awesome screen saver called Pyro.

There are also patches which you can make to Font/DA Mover to let it install
more than 15 DAs, but I think that's just asking for trouble.

Christopher Chow
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |