[comp.sys.mac] New Macs, HyperCard, Multifinder, and Memory Constraints

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (10/07/87)

The new HyperCard (HC) and Multifinder are great (although I have only seen
articles about Multifinder).  However, I have heard and read that to be able to
use them concurrently (without problems), you need 2Mb of RAM!  Now if this is
true I see a problem since the Mac SE comes only with 1Mb RAM.  Depending where
you go (or KNOW where to buy hw/sw) a person who buys an SE will be forced to
spend from ~$500-$800 more for a 2Mb upgrade (and installation fees at Apple
dealers cost an additional $50-$65)!

I submit to Apple that they may have painted themselves into a corner.
Why?  Because no sooner have they introduced hot new products (Mac SE & II)
that people are buying up faster & faster; then they introduce two pieces of
software (HC and Multifinder) that although they come with the Mac package for
immediate use, they CAN'T be used easily with the system because the default
1Mb RAM is not fully sufficient.

This may suddenly discourage a lot of potential Mac SE & II buyers, and thus
reduce Apple's sales.

Possible solutions for Apple are to prepare and release (real soon) an
HC & Multifinder that will run well on 1Mb, OR begin selling Macs WITH 2 Mb!

These are my opinions.  What do the rest of you think?  Do any of our fellow
netters from Apple have any comments?

						Jim Collymore

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (10/08/87)

In article <544@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>that people are buying up faster & faster; then they introduce two pieces of
>software (HC and Multifinder) that although they come with the Mac package for
>immediate use, they CAN'T be used easily with the system because the default
>1Mb RAM is not fully sufficient.
>
>This may suddenly discourage a lot of potential Mac SE & II buyers, and thus
>reduce Apple's sales.
>
>Possible solutions for Apple are to prepare and release (real soon) an
>HC & Multifinder that will run well on 1Mb, OR begin selling Macs WITH 2 Mb!

Dumb question time:  Why (other than their heritages) do multifinder and
hypercard *REQUIRE* so much memory.  I thought that much of the magic of the
"old" mac was that any application would run on a little Mac, but perhaps
with poor performance.

Why can't these programs keep some (perhaps at the user's discretion, as in
MS Wors 3.01) of the data on disk instead of in memory.  That way, I can use
a hard disk to its maximal advantage, and not have to invest in gobs of
semiconductor memory.  I'd much rather plunk down $600-$800 for a 20-30M HD
than for an additional 1Meg of memory; I'd be able to use the HD for both
heavy data, DA, font and application storage, PLUS the ability to use these
ifancy new programs.

Yes, switcher was implemented to be able to use the expanded memory when the
Fat Mac came out, but before SCSI hard disks were on the market.  Must
multifinder follow in the same path when the environment has changed?
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no.re

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (10/08/87)

Sigh... the old problem... Parkinson's Law applies to computers as
well as to bureaucratic organizations (the contents expands to fill
the available space, plus 10%).  You can't get power without paying
for it, and HyperCard and MultiFinder are providing a _lot_ of new
power (with more to come in the future, presumably).

I'm not holding my breath waiting for a MultiFinder/HyperCard
combination that will run acceptably in 1 meg with the current ROMs; I
suspect that Apple would have to move a lot of the MultiFinder code
into ROM (1-meg ROMs, anyone?) to make room for HyperCard.  Perhaps
they can do something to trim down HyperCard's current piggish
behavior, though... seems like an area worth addressing.

For what it's worth, Apple just cut its RAM-upgrade prices by about
40%, due to the dropping prices of DRAM chips on the market today.
Current MSRPs are:

Mac II 1Mb->2Mb         $349    $249

Mac Plus 1Mb->2.5Mb     $999    $599

Mac Plus 1Mb->4Mb,      $1998   $1198
Mac II   1Mb->5Mb

This is _lots_ more reasonable.  Apple (and the rest of the industry)
was hurt rather badly by the sharp increases in DRAM prices due to the
anti-dumping "fair market value" regulations imposed by the government,
and I imagine that it put a bit of a crimp into their long-standing plans
to supply Mac users with very-powerful tools (which inevitably eat memory
as if it were candy).  Now that DRAM street-prices are coming back down,
things should ease up quite a bit.  [I just bought a Mac II, and ordered
the 1-to-5-meg expansion;  got a 25% corporate discount from a local
dealer, and ended up paying $900 for 4 megs of memory.  It stung a bit,
but not more than I could stand].

I imagine that Apple will continue to release 1-meg machines as their
"bottom of the line" systems for quite some time... if they up the size
of the smallest machine to 2 megs, they'll get lots of howls from people
who can't justify the expense of the larger machine.  They may make
a "Mac SE+" available, with 2 megs to start;  this might be attractive
for power users.

stuart@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stu Ericson) (10/08/87)

In article <544@atux01.UUCP>, jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
[Likes the concepts of Hypercard and Multifinder...]
> ....  However, I have heard and read that to be able to
> use them concurrently (without problems), you need 2Mb of RAM!  ...
> Possible solutions for Apple are to prepare and release (real soon) an
> HC & Multifinder that will run well on 1Mb, OR begin selling Macs WITH 2 Mb!
> 						Jim Collymore
I keep hearing this too, but it all depends on your *APPLICATIONS*:
I can run VersaTerm and Macwrite at the same time in MF with only
1 meg.  Some memory-hog programs (like SuperPaint) won't even run,
however.

Notice that Apple has recently made DRASTIC price reductions on
the memory upgrades.  I hear that getting them is the battle.

Stu
--
Stuart Ericson			USnail:		AT&T Bell Laboratories
USENET: ...!ihnp4!ihlpf!stuart			IH 6M-313

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (10/08/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.7 of Fri Aug 28 1987 on teknowledge-vaxc (berkeley-unix)

Ahem.  In my posting today in which I listed Apple's new suggested
retail prices for RAM upgrades, I didn't copy in the header line from
the article I was cribbing from (Joel West's posting of 4 October).
The left-hand number in each row is the old price, and the right-hand
number is the new/current price.

Apologies for any confusion, and also apologies to Joel West for not
citing him as my source for this information (Joel cited MacWeek, and
I assume MacWeek cited Apple's new price-sheet or a press release).

herbw@midas.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (10/09/87)

--------

I agree. What are we supposed to do with all those old SIMMs anyway?
(Anyone want to buy a white elephant or four 256K SIMMs?)

alan@pdn.UUCP (Alan Lovejoy) (10/10/87)

In article <2448@ihlpf.ATT.COM> straka@ihlpf.UUCP (55223-Straka,R.J.) writes:
>Dumb question time:  Why (other than their heritages) do multifinder and
>hypercard *REQUIRE* so much memory.  I thought that much of the magic of the
>"old" mac was that any application would run on a little Mac, but perhaps
>with poor performance.

>Why can't these programs keep some (perhaps at the user's discretion, as in
>MS Wors 3.01) of the data on disk instead of in memory.  That way, I can use
>a hard disk to its maximal advantage, and not have to invest in gobs of
>semiconductor memory.  I'd much rather plunk down $600-$800 for a 20-30M HD
>than for an additional 1Meg of memory; I'd be able to use the HD for both
>heavy data, DA, font and application storage, PLUS the ability to use these
>ifancy new programs.

I would guess that the next revision to System/Finder will include not
only preemptive task scheduling but also true virtual memory (both
require an MMU to work well).  Of course, those Macs that don't have
an MMU won't benefit from this.  This suggests that a much cheaper MacII
architecture machine is on the way real soon now.  The old Macs are
going to be in the same position as the i8088 and i8086 machines: unable
to do true multitasking/virtual memory and thereby increasingly
obsolete.  The only question is how fast this will happen, and how
easy (expensive) it will be to upgrade your older machine.  The
accelerator board (68020/68881/68851/68030) people may do landoffice business
for the next few years.

--alan@pdn

kurt@doodah.UUCP (Kurt VanderSluis) (10/12/87)

> The new HyperCard (HC) and Multifinder are great (although I have only seen
> articles about Multifinder).  However, I have heard and read that to be able to
> use them concurrently (without problems), you need 2Mb of RAM!  Now if this is
> true I see a problem since the Mac SE comes only with 1Mb RAM.  Depending where
> you go (or KNOW where to buy hw/sw) a person who buys an SE will be forced to
> spend from ~$500-$800 more for a 2Mb upgrade (and installation fees at Apple
> dealers cost an additional $50-$65)!

I think it's inevitable that computers are going to larger memory
requirements.  The needs are coming from several places - sophistication
and size of software, larger and deeper displays, more complex
operating systems (inc. MultiFinder).  To a corporate buyer, the
extra expense is not prohibitive if he feels that he is buing " a
machine for the future".  And Apple has said both verbally and non-verbally
that they are going in the direction of the business user.  This may
mean less support for the home "hobbyist".  The home market is not as
strong as people once thought it would be.  When we ordered our Mac II's
last summer, we anticipated the need for large memory and ordered them
all with 5 MB.  This seems adequate so far.  I hope that I'll outgrow it.
What I mean is that I hope to consider someday that 5MB, which seems
like monster memory to me today, is just a trifle.  Progress costs money,
and I guess I'm willing to pay for it.  I bought my home Amiga and for
a long time 512K was adequate.  With the software I use now, I had to
buy more.  It's worth it.

--
Kurt VanderSluis                   *********************************
Boeing Computer Services           *   These opinions are mine,    *

joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) (10/14/87)

>1Mb RAM is not fully sufficient.
>
>This may suddenly discourage a lot of potential Mac SE & II buyers, and thus
>reduce Apple's sales.
>
>Possible solutions for Apple are to prepare and release (real soon) an
>HC & Multifinder that will run well on 1Mb, OR begin selling Macs WITH 2 Mb!
>
>These are my opinions.  What do the rest of you think?  Do any of our fellow
>netters from Apple have any comments?

I agree.  I recently had my MAC enhanced and am now very much dismayed that
the minimum usable MAC is now a 2 Meg SE with a 40 Meg hard disk.  Even
before Hypercard & Multifinder, System 4.1 is useless on a floppy based MAC
because of its size, (150K bigger because, I am led to believe, of the MAC II
color support which is useless baggage on a regular MAC).

steele@unc.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (10/15/87)

joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) writes:
>>1Mb RAM is not fully sufficient.

>I agree.  I recently had my MAC enhanced and am now very much dismayed that
>the minimum usable MAC is now a 2 Meg SE with a 40 Meg hard disk.

This isn't yet true.  1 Meg memory and 20 Meg hard disk are closer -- you
can run any software from this, and I believe you can run almost anything
(anything except HyperCard, I believe) under Multifinder on 1 Meg, and a
20 Meg HD is enough for quite a few large file-heavy applications as long
as you don't expect to archive your public domain software library on it
(but that's what sumex is for, isn't it).  Now if you use HyperCard with
all its stacks, and Smalltalk with source, and MPW with, say, C and
Pascal, you're cutting it close, but most combinations of applications
leave you substantially more leeway.  A year from now, I think you'll be
right.

>Even
>before Hypercard & Multifinder, System 4.1 is useless on a floppy based MAC
>because of its size, (150K bigger because, I am led to believe, of the MAC II
>color support which is useless baggage on a regular MAC).

Mac II support under System 4.1 comes to:
	20K	Color tables, Picker, etc.
	12K	Patches
	29K	Sound stuff
	10K	because I've probably missed something
	55K +/- 5K

So about a third of that extra stuff is Mac II, and can be deleted on a
regular Mac.  Some more can be deleted on a non-ADB Mac, and your total
Control Panel setup is smaller if you go back to the System 3.2 Control
Panel and delete all those cdevs from the System Folder (although I don't
think these figured into your 150K bigger caculation, anyway).  And
you can always delete those extra patches, and a couple of DRVRs, and a
few PACKs, and FONT 0, etc, but you can do that to 3.2 too so yes, 4.1 is
huge, but no, not all of it is Mac II.

You're still close to right about the "useless on a floppy" statement.
It's tolerable on a two-floppy system, (and a lot of future software will
probably make use of the Script Manager, so it will probably soon be
necessary too), but I think Apple is on the verge of disowning 1-floppy
computers and is probably about a year away from disowning 0-HD computers
(and this will parallel the rest of the computer world).  Fortunately, you
don't yet need a CD-ROM to be with it.

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
							steele%unc@mcnc.org

	"'As it were' means 'I think that I sound very erudite.'
	 'Per se' is Latin for 'as it were.'  As it were."