[comp.sys.mac] Intermail shaft is complete

fitz@CIVE.RI.CMU.EDU (Kerien Fitzpatrick) (10/15/87)

Well, if there are any other people that were waiting for Intermail 1.5
upgrades you might as well try and find some sucker to purchase the software
and then go out and buy Inbox.  I talked to people at Microsoft and they
are not planning on releasing the 1.5 upgrade until some time in December.
The reason I stated that the shaft was complete is that the 1.5 upgrade will
NOT have the ability to create aliases for groups of people.

It is my opinion that Interactive Network Technologies (located in Mass.)
have not been honest in their dealings with me.  Promises were not kept.  An
example: I was promised that the first version would have the create group
ability.  This promise was subsequently repeated 2 months later and then 3
months after that.

With the recent developments, I decided to take a first-hand look at Inbox.
I saw a version with three connections and the response was sooooo slow I
thought the machine had hung.  It looks to me like the Mac-based email is a
no-win situation now, but hopefully it will get better.  If anyone knows of
better email software I would appreciate it if they would send me the name
of a person to contact.

Words to live by:  Base decisions on Reality and not Blue Sky.

Kerien Fitzpatrick
Carnegie Mellon University
The Robotics Institute
Field Robotics Center
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

fitz@cive.ri.cmu.edu

DISCLAIMER:  Opinions stated are my own (and have been tempered) and are not
to be considered those of my employer.

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/15/87)

In article <173@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> fitz@CIVE.RI.CMU.EDU (Kerien Fitzpatrick) writes:

>With the recent developments, I decided to take a first-hand look at Inbox.
>I saw a version with three connections and the response was sooooo slow I
>thought the machine had hung.  It looks to me like the Mac-based email is a

	That's interesting. I've been using a Mac SE on an AppleTalk
net consisting of two message centers, about 40 Macs, and
two Hayes InterBridge units. The response was never slow enough to
make me thing the machine was hung up.

	Tell me more about the net; was the MC running in the background
with something else (AppleShare, for example)? Response is very good
when the MC is foreground.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy quote)                       *