[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Wide Screen Graphics

thomas@dartvax.UUCP (Thomas Summerall) (10/15/87)

Does anyone know if there are any graphics programs as of yet which can create
and edit larger than MacPaint sized pictures?  Is there going to be a new
standard format now that the advent of widescreens and more memory allows
very large pictures to be edited easily?  I would particularly like to be
able to work on wider pictures so that I can create a fullsized startup/
backdrop screen for my Mac II.

If there is a way to create larger-than-MacPaint images, will the "New Backdrop"
INIT adjust or will there also have to be a patch for that?

Thanks in advance...

thomas@dartvax * thomas%u2.dartmouth.edu@RELAY.CS.NET  |  Thomas Summerall '88
                                                       |  H.B. 3445
"And all that the Lorax left here in this mess,        |  Dartmouth College
 Was a small pile of rocks, with one word: UNLESS"     |  Hanover, NH    03755
                                        -Dr. Seuss '25 |

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (10/15/87)

In article <7388@dartvax.UUCP>, thomas@dartvax.UUCP (Thomas Summerall) writes:
> Is there going to be a new
> standard format now that the advent of widescreens and more memory allows
> very large pictures to be edited easily?

The standard format for Mac II pictures is the 'PICT' file.  Rather than
invent a large color version of the MacPaint format, Larry Rosenstein
(co-author of Apple's influential demo color painting program ATG Paint)
went ahead and used the format built into the Mac II, color QuickDraw
pictures.  This is also the standard interchange format for color
drawing programs as well.

PixelPaint and Modern Artist are two color painting programs that
support importing and exporting PICT files.  Although not released yet,
you can also bet that the color versions of MacDraw and SuperPaint
support PICT, since the black & white ones do.

Of course, I might be a little biased, since I'm a big PICT fan
(it's a reasonable standard) and our Colorizer application takes
B&W PICT files and makes them into color ones, while our color
screen-dump FKEY creates color PICT files.

> I would particularly like to be
> able to work on wider pictures so that I can create a fullsized startup/
> backdrop screen for my Mac II.

The color startup screen displayed by Apple at boot time is a 'PICT'
resource, so any program to create it has to get it into PICT format
anyway.  (Colorizer does it for you, but you can also roll your own by
adding a 'PICT' #0 resource to file 'StartupScreen' in your
System Folder.)

> If there is a way to create larger-than-MacPaint images, will the "New Backdrop"
> INIT adjust or will there also have to be a patch for that?

The only color or Mac II backdrop I'm aware of has been worked on by Paul
Mercer (who did the Programmer's Key for TMON.)  I don't know what
the status is, but Paul is very clever and he was having a bitch of
a time with it, so it looks like it may be difficult (or impossible)
to get it to work reliably.  Don't forget that any simple-minded
backdrop will get blown away by the new MultiFinder rules, since
writing to the desktop (at least in the previous way) is a no-no.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083