[comp.sys.mac] Looking for demo programs for Macintosh II

jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) (09/29/87)

  Our department just received a shipment of 20 Mac II's (5 Meg ram, 40 Meg
internal disk, enhanced keyboard, monochrome (soon to be color) monitors).
Since the computers are accessable to most faculty and students in the
department, our department head would like some demo programs to basically
'show off' the new machines.  Since everyone at Drexel already owns Macs
(Mac+'s), what we need to show off are the major enhancements.  Therefore,
if anyone has any demo programs in the following 'areas', I would greatly
appreciate it.  We don't have any (legal) compilers for the Mac II yet, so
programs should be in a BinHex-type format.

	1. Performance increase of using native 68881 floating point
	   instructions versus normal software emulation.
	2. Programs showing off grayscales/colors.  Something dynamic (ie.
	   rotating sphere) would be nice.
	3. Applications without window size limitations.  Right now, we have
	   4 monitors/video boards hooked up to one Mac, but so far we haven't
	   found any applications that let you expand the window past 1 full
	   screen.  Note that this doesn't have to be a demo program, but could
	   could just be a pointer to a commercial application (which we might
	   already have).
	4. Something to show off the improved sound chip.

  As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!liberty!drexel!jeff

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (09/29/87)

In article <521@drexel.UUCP> jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>	[request for demos to show off the Mac-II in the following areas]
>	2. Programs showing off grayscales/colors.  Something dynamic (ie.
>	   rotating sphere) would be nice.

I find it interesting that 6 months after the public unveiling of the
machine that there are apparently STILL no demos available to dealers.
Everytime I see my local dealer I ask her if Apple has released any
dealer demos and the answer is invariably no.  There don't seem to be very
many user written demos available in the public domain either.  By contrast,
six months after the Commodore Amiga hit the streets there were lots
of interesting demos, and even at the time of release virtually every
dealer got several disks full of demos from Commodore.

But, back to your question.  I have been working with the author of a
GIF reader program for the Mac-II and we have had a significant amount of
success at displaying both hand drawn artwork and digitized images from
the Amiga on the Mac-II.  The Jim Sach's Amiga artwork in particular is
stunning, as are many of the Digiview pictures.  Digiview is an Amiga
product that digitizes with a resolution of 640 by 400 pixels, with
21 bits of color per pixel (7 bit each of red, green, and blue).  A
special purpose converter program maps the 2 million colors into a
"best fit" 256, for display by the GIF reader.

At some point, probably reasonably soon, the programs and sample images
should be publicly available.  The first release will probably be
on Compuserve, but should trickle out to other sources soon after.

>	4. Something to show off the improved sound chip.

Sound chip?  You mean this thing has a new sound chip :-)
(See comments above re demos...)

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
# Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

stuart@ihlpf.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <521@drexel.UUCP>, jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
[tell what great equipment he just got...]
> department, our department head would like some demo programs to basically
> 'show off' the new machines.  Since everyone at Drexel already owns Macs
> (Mac+'s), what we need to show off are the major enhancements.  Therefore,

A local Apple dealer had a REALLY slick graphics/sound demo programm
running on their sole Mac II.  Actually, it seemed to be a demo
runner with various demos.  The program was quite small - maybe
20k, but the demo files were 10 or 20 *MEG* apiece!

But they were great - Color pictures like the famous log&spheres
screen are displayed while georgeous orchestal music plays in
the background (sounds hi-fi to me!)

Too bad I don't have the hard disk or the Apple's vaprous tape
drive!

--
Stuart Ericson			USnail:		AT&T Bell Laboratories
USENET: ...!ihnp4!ihlpf!stuart			IH 6M-313

mike@artsvax.UUCP (Michael Czeiszperger) (10/01/87)

In article <381@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <521@drexel.UUCP> jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>>	[request for demos to show off the Mac-II in the following areas]
>>	2. Programs showing off grayscales/colors.  Something dynamic (ie.
>>	   rotating sphere) would be nice.
>
>I find it interesting that 6 months after the public unveiling of the
>machine that there are apparently STILL no demos available to dealers.

Have you seen the demo of a program called DIMENTIONS?  It's a 3-d
design and rendering program which supports our 8bit graphics card.
The demo includes a bunch of nice color pictures created with the
system including a couple ray traced images.  It's the most amazing
thing I've ever seen on a MacII.  The demo program will even allow
you to render your own versions of two complex 3-d objects.  (The
objects are a 3-d mac, and the word dimentions spelled out in big
3-d letters)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael S. Czeiszperger      | Disclaimer: "Sorry, I'm all out of pith"
  Systems Programmer I	      | Smail: Room 406 Baker      (614)
   College of the Arts        |        1971 Neil Avenue      292-
     Computer Lab             |        Columbus, OH 43210     0895
The Ohio State University     | UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!osupyr!artsvax!mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (10/15/87)

In article <119@artsvax.UUCP> mike@artsvax.UUCP (Michael Czeiszperger) writes:
>Have you seen the demo of a program called DIMENTIONS?  It's a 3-d
>design and rendering program which supports our 8bit graphics card.
>The demo includes a bunch of nice color pictures created with the
>system including a couple ray traced images.  It's the most amazing
>thing I've ever seen on a MacII.  The demo program will even allow
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Michael S. Czeiszperger      | Disclaimer: "Sorry, I'm all out of pith"
>  Systems Programmer I       | Smail: Room 406 Baker      (614)
>   College of the Arts        |        1971 Neil Avenue      292-
>     Computer Lab             |        Columbus, OH 43210     0895
>The Ohio State University     | UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!osupyr!artsvax!mike

So now that you've whetted our appetites, where do we GET this amazing
program?!?!?!?  Who can we order/steal/finagle/borrow it from????

Don't leave us all hanging on the edge like this!   :-)

Robert Jellinghaus             | "Check out Mr. Businessman, uh-oh...
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      |     He got some Wild Wild Life"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |                -- T Heads