[comp.sys.mac] booting diskless macs on net

david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) (10/15/87)

Does anyone know of networking products for the Mac
which allow diskless booting and operation of client
systems from a server?

We're looking at setting up a partially unattended
lab in which certain software would be available
without requiring the use of floppies.  If you've
used any such products, comments will be appreciated.

Mail replies to me, and I'll post a summary back here.
--
David Lassner, University of Hawaii Computing Center, 808/948-7351
INTERNET:     david@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu   PLATO: david/p/hawaii

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (10/15/87)

In article <954@uhccux.UUCP>, david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) writes:
> Does anyone know of networking products for the Mac
> which allow diskless booting and operation of client
> systems from a server?
>
> We're looking at setting up a partially unattended
> lab in which certain software would be available
> without requiring the use of floppies.  If you've
> used any such products, comments will be appreciated.

I've often wondered why Apple did not include this as part of
it's Appletalk ROM code.  We have a few diskless Suns here,
and they boot from a local device if available.  If a local
disk or tape is not present, they will search for a boot
partition on the ethernet.

So the question is whether Apple is going to include this
feature in some future version of the Macintosh ROM.

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (10/16/87)

As far as I know, no one currently has anything that will do this.
Many universities have hassled Apple about this, but it has stated
very low priority.  Only recently did we get an agreement that the
MacII with EtherTalk should have that capability (when running A/UX).

Two of the guys here have the basic design of a daughter board which
would sit over the ROMs.  It will use a programmable logic array to
patch key locations in the ROM and then have PROM for a network
booter, etc.  This will be finish as soon :-) as things calm down here.

If you had someone who was willing to put out a bit of work you could
hack something together yourself.  The easiest hack would be to build
a little SCSI device that would load in a network bootstrap and the
go.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber