[comp.sys.mac] Modified DA's

joseph@cooper.UUCP (Joe Giannuzzi) (09/28/87)

	Is there anyone out there who knows of a way to modify DA's.
I would like to modify Chooser so that it asks for a password before it
will switch to the LaserWriter.  This seems to be the easiest solution
to my problem of keeping people off it, but I have no idea how to
accomplish this feat.

	Thanx in advance.

Joe Gunoz	cmcl2!phri!cooper!joseph

"The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe,
 and everything is ... forty two."

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (10/05/87)

In article <1023@cooper.UUCP> joseph@cooper.UUCP (Joe Giannuzzi) writes:

>	Is there anyone out there who knows of a way to modify DA's.
>I would like to modify Chooser so that it asks for a password before it
>will switch to the LaserWriter.

This is probably not an easy or wise thing to do.

>				This seems to be the easiest solution
>to my problem of keeping people off it, but I have no idea how to
>accomplish this feat.

I recently read somewhere (MacWEEK? MacUser?) about a company that had
developed accounting/control software for PostScript-based printers on
AppleTalk. I don't know where I read it and can't check at this moment, but
you might wish to inquire with Adobe or in the comp.laser-printers newsgroup.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

carlos@cunixc.columbia.edu (Carlos Albuerne) (10/06/87)

In article <3065@uwmcsd1.UUCP> hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (Robert
Hammen) writes:
>I recently read somewhere (MacWEEK? MacUser?) about a company that had
>developed accounting/control software for PostScript-based printers on
>AppleTalk. I don't know where I read it and can't check at this moment, but
>you might wish to inquire with Adobe or in the comp.laser-printers newsgroup.

MacWEEK, Sept. 22 1987

"Any business that wants to closely track how its Postscript printer
is used will benefit from the LaserCount time and copy counter."

Up to 32 accounts possible with each printer.

Contact LaserCount Systems Inc.
	103 Blue Ridge Trail
	Austin, TX  78746
	512-327-2778

for more information

--Carlos

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (10/16/87)

> "Any business that wants to closely track how its Postscript printer
> is used will benefit from the LaserCount time and copy counter."
>
> Up to 32 accounts possible with each printer.
>
> Contact LaserCount Systems Inc.
> 	103 Blue Ridge Trail
> 	Austin, TX  78746
> 	512-327-2778

I've seen this at work at a rent-a-mac place here in Austin.  It's
pretty nice, straightforward, etc.  I don't think it has any password
capability, however.

cheers, from
charles s. geiger
ARPA:  cgeiger@ngp.cc.utexas.edu       cgeiger@ut-ngp.ARPA
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!cgeiger     allegra!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       gatech!ut-ngp!cgeiger    seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger