[comp.sys.mac] APDA - could someone tell them that they should get on the net?

kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/01/87)

if someone reading this has any connections to APDA it would be useful
to communicate to them that their presence on this net would be highly
welcomed.  If nothing else, they could announce new goodies as they
become available, announce delays and the reasons for it, and work on
improving their image, in general.  Of course, it would be nice if
they would lower their prices instead, but without competition, what
can you expect ..... (yes, I do think that they are more expensive
than they should be.  remember, that they charge a membership fee -
totally unjustified, really, as their margins are quite sufficient;
but that's another story ...
--
INTERNET:	kraut@emx.cc.utexas.edu
UUCP:		kraut@ut-emx.UUCP  (or  ...!ut-sally!ut-emx!kraut)

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (10/15/87)

I dunno, APDA's ability to take on additional tasks seems dubious.
For example, they have a reserved BBS area on AppleLink, and the
catalog posted there is five months out of date.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (10/15/87)

In article <121@ut-emx.UUCP> kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
|if someone reading this has any connections to APDA it would be useful
|to communicate to them that their presence on this net would be highly
|welcomed.  ...

APDA currently uses Compuserve for their network contact to the outside
world.  For a long time it was very hit and miss, but recently they've
hired Curtis Snow (sp?) to monitor Compuserve contacts.  I will pass this
suggestion on, but it would help if someone in or near Renton, WA (where
APDA is located)  could offer network access.  I don't think they have any
UNIX boxes in-house (all blue, in case you were wondering why they are
having problems :-)), so an account on a public or private machine would
be needed.  Can anyone help with this?

|--
|INTERNET:	kraut@emx.cc.utexas.edu
|UUCP:		kraut@ut-emx.UUCP  (or  ...!ut-sally!ut-emx!kraut)

Jerry Whitnell                           It's a damn poor mind that can only
Communication Solutions, Inc.            think of one way to spell a word.
						-- Andrew Jackson

bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (10/17/87)

In article <121@ut-emx.UUCP> kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>				     Of course, it would be nice if
>they would lower their prices instead, but without competition, what
>can you expect ..... (yes, I do think that they are more expensive
>than they should be.  remember, that they charge a membership fee -
>totally unjustified, really, as their margins are quite sufficient;
>but that's another story ...

Yep.  That's my gripe with them and why I didn't renew.  Besides the high
prices and the membership fee we have a minimum shipping fee of $6.00 for
guaranteed second-day delivery, while MacConnection and Programs Plus
offer next-day delivery for $3.00.

On top of that, the second-day delivery from APDA is a joke.  They often
don't get around to processing your order for a couple of weeks, so what's
another couple of days.  When I've ordered from MacConnection, they
processed the order and put it in the mail that day.

Why Apple didn't contract with MacConnection or somebody else already in
the high-volume mail order business, I don't know.
--
	Roger L. Long
	FileNet Corp