[comp.sys.mac] Undocumented Command & Option Key Capabilities

mct@rti.UUCP (Millard Taylor) (10/07/87)

To Whom It May Concern,

     The Macintosh seems to be rife with undocumented "features".
Hold down cmd-option-shift-delete during booting (presumably turning
the power on with your nose) and the hard disk won't be recognized.
Other command and option sequences cause the Imagewriter II to print
bidirectionally, the internal floppy drive to put 800K on a 400K disk,
the CPU to prove Fermat's Last Theorem, or, in general, do just about
anything you might want to do and can't figure out how.

     This brings me to the point of all this.  Is there a central
repository of the various things the command and option keys can do?
If there isn't, is there any interest in developing one?  Seems to me
it could make life a lot easier.  If such a repository doesn't exist, let's
have an electronic "show of hands" of people interested in contributing to
the effort.

                               Tad Taylor
                                   (Arpanet:  mct@rti.rti.org)
                                   (UUCP:  Not sure, look at the senders
                                           address on this message)

lsmith@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Lawrence Smith) (10/07/87)

Yes! this is annoying. Some may be found in various tidbits in magazines,
etc, but it would be nice if the folks who *KNOW* what all these things
are(since they put them there) would just make up a comprehensive list
and post it. Hello Apple?  I realize that it might be a pain to Offically
do this, as it would mean maintaining them or whatever, but how about
UNoffically, disclaimed, etc,etc.  The #$@!!*&$$ things are there, and
it is annoying to not know about them. -Lawrence, lsmith@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) (10/08/87)

In article <1775@rti.UUCP> mct@rti.UUCP (Millard Taylor) writes:
>     The Macintosh seems to be rife with undocumented "features".
(...)
>     This brings me to the point of all this.  Is there a central
>repository of the various things the command and option keys can do?
   Tech Tidbits, to some extent, but not much.
>If there isn't, is there any interest in developing one?  Seems to me
   Sure, I've even started gathering whatever I could get my hands on
some time ago; MacWorld & MacUser both have a "Tips.." section, which
is my main source. "Wheels for the mind" also has this kind of thing.
   Since Tad first publicly suggested it, I propose that we ask him
to volunteer as a "repository" and editor for whatever we can mail him
so that in a month or so he could post a nicely cleaned up collection.
If there is a more widespread interest - of course. How about it Tad?
>                               Tad Taylor
>                                   (Arpanet:  mct@rti.rti.org)
>                                   (UUCP:  Not sure, look at the senders
>                                           address on this message)
                                Eric Behr

ajq@j.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) (10/08/87)

In article <1775@rti.UUCP> mct@rti.UUCP (Millard Taylor) writes:

>     The Macintosh seems to be rife with undocumented "features".
>      command and option sequences
>
>       Is there a central
>repository of the various things the command and option keys can do?
>
>                               Tad Taylor

A few months ago, if I remember correctly, MacUser magazine came out with
some book called the "Power User's Manual".  I think this is what you might
be looking for... documentation of keyboard short-cuts for various software
packages.  I'm not sure how you can get a copy, but the folks at MacUser
probably know... ;-)

John O'Malley
----------------------------------------------------------ajq@j.cc.purdue.edu
PCLRC  Purdue University Computing Center  Math B4  West Lafayette  IN  47907
(317) 494-1787 ext. 271                  Mon - Fri  9am - 11am EST (my hours)

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (10/08/87)

I believe the 'Macintosh Advisor' sold a ton of copies for just
this reason.  Since I'm not that into PowerUsing, I don't really
pay much attention to the topic.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) (10/08/87)

In article <1775@rti.UUCP> mct@rti.UUCP (Millard Taylor) writes:

>     The Macintosh seems to be rife with undocumented "features".
>
>     This brings me to the point of all this.  Is there a central
>repository of the various things the command and option keys can do?
>If there isn't, is there any interest in developing one?

It is a nice idea. Any volunteers for compiling such a list ?

(I have noticed though that about 75% of such "features" are
 actually documented.  Most Mac users seldom read their
 documentation (if they have any ;-) from cover to cover. From
 time to time we see such "features" posted to the net followed
 by flames of the type "Hey %%^@## read the manual on page 23")

--
Atul Kacker        Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu
                   UUCP    : {decwrl,cmcl2}!rochester!tut!akk2

klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) (10/08/87)

In article <1775@rti.UUCP> mct@rti.UUCP (Millard Taylor) writes:
>To Whom It May Concern,
>     The Macintosh seems to be rife with undocumented "features".
>     This brings me to the point of all this.  Is there a central
>repository of the various things the command and option keys can do?
>If there isn't, is there any interest in developing one?  Seems to me
>
>                               Tad Taylor

Yes, I've thought of this, and I may be crazy, but I'll volunteer.  Rather
than flooding the net with your shortcuts, why not send them to me?  I
will edit, compile, and summarize and post to the net.

--
Karl Klashinsky                         "I shall endeavour to
University of Victoria                  function adequately."

e-mail:	{uw-beaver, ubc-vision}!uvicctr!klash

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (10/13/87)

In article <219@ur-tut.UUCP> akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Atul Kacker) writes:
|In article <1775@rti.UUCP> mct@rti.UUCP (Millard Taylor) writes:
||     The Macintosh seems to be rife with undocumented "features".
|(I have noticed though that about 75% of such "features" are
| actually documented.  Most Mac users seldom read their

Perhaps true, but 75% is still not a good percentage!
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) (10/17/87)

In article <219@ur-tut.UUCP> akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Atul Kacker) writes:
>In article <1775@rti.UUCP> mct@rti.UUCP (Millard Taylor) writes:
>>
>>     The Macintosh seems to be rife with undocumented "features".
>>
>(I have noticed though that about 75% of such "features" are
> actually documented.  Most Mac users seldom read their
> documentation (if they have any ;-) from cover to cover. From
> time to time we see such "features" posted to the net followed
> by flames of the type "Hey %%^@## read the manual on page 23")

I would venture a guess that the reason many people don't read
their documentation cover to cover is because of the great degree
to which Macintosh programs in general adhere to the Mac users'
interface.  Once you've read a few manuals and have used the Mac
for some time it becomes relatively easy to use a new program from
scratch.  What these people want is a "diffs" file that tells
them the nitty gritty differences and peculiarity of the particular
program they are running without having to sift the chaff for
the wheat.  For instance much of what I want to know about Hypercard
is actually Hypertalk, and I find that in pages 397-597 of Goodman's
book.  And what I'd really like is a 50 page or less condensation of
that.

--
Tom Kimpton		    {ihnp4,uunet}!iconsys!tom
Icon International, Inc.    {ihnp4,psivax}!nrcvax!nrc-ut!iconsys!tom