[comp.sys.mac] LSP questions

mcnabb@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (10/16/87)

Hopefully some kind soul with LSP/Mac+ expertise will help me with a few
quick questions (please email me any answers or requests to share same.):

What is the latest and greatest release of LSP?  How long has it been out?

Does LSP have problems hanging on I/O errors when stand-alone applications
are run?  Do I need to do something clever to have a fatal I/O error cause
a return to the finder (or anything else better than hanging)?

Thanks.

	D. McNabb    ...!ihnp4!uiucdcs!mcnabb    mcnabb@a.cs.uiuc.edu

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/17/87)

In article <164500059@uiucdcsb> mcnabb@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>What is the latest and greatest release of LSP?  How long has it been out?

	The latest release is version 1.11a, and it's been available
on the net for a few weeks now.

>Does LSP have problems hanging on I/O errors when stand-alone applications
>are run?  Do I need to do something clever to have a fatal I/O error cause
>a return to the finder (or anything else better than hanging)?

	Pascal I/O doesn't seem to be real resistant to crashing when
running in a standalone application; this is one of the biggest problems
when using Pascal I/O in Lightspeed Pascal.

I can't offer a good workaround because I don't know of one; I would
suggest that perhaps you could rework the file-handling parts of your
program to use the Macintosh File Manager calls; in the long run
they're much more flexible, much more compatible, and (as we've seen) much
more reliable.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy quote)                       *