[comp.sys.mac] Hypercard previews in Mac Today

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (10/16/87)

The latest issue of Macintosh Today has an article titled "Europe makes
do with U.S. Hypercard until January" on page 11.  Some excerpts:

------------
PARIS--European Macintosh users will have to wait until next year for the
release of the international version of HyperCard, Apple's personalized
programming language for the Mac.

"We didn't finish HyperCard," said Winkler, who wrote the HyperCard pro-
gramming language, HyperTalk.  "We just had to ship it.  The stack format
is frozen.  Our first priorities are to internationalize it, finish the
CD-ROM interface and add new features, such as support for displaying
multiple cards on a large screen."

Besides translating the menu, dialog and alert text strings into the
various languages, Apple must localize HyperTalk so users can see it in
their own language.  This procedure entails storing the HyperTalk commands
or procedures on disk in English and translating them into local languages
for display.
borrowed a friend's.  If I broke any copyright laws, blame him.

Robert Jellinghaus             | "Check out Mr. Businessman, uh-oh...
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      |     He got some Wild Wild Life"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |                -- T Heads

ranson@crcge1.UUCP (D. Ranson CNET) (10/19/87)

In article <17702@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) writes:
> PARIS--European Macintosh users will have to wait until next year for the
> release of the international version of HyperCard, Apple's personalized
> programming language for the Mac.
  [ Stuff deleted]
> Besides translating the menu, dialog and alert text strings into the
> various languages, Apple must localize HyperTalk so users can see it in
> their own language.  This procedure entails storing the HyperTalk commands
> or procedures on disk in English and translating them into local languages
> for display.
  [ stuff deleted]
> Robert Jellinghaus

Localizing Hypercard for international markets is a tricky business. I have
played with a pre-release of the French version. At least one of my stacks
was not working. Of course, the script language is not translated, but the
dialogs and menus are. In the stack that was not working, I had a script with
       DoMenu "Copy Button"
Since the menu item was "Copier le bouton", Hypertalk rejected this command.

    Daniel Ranson
    ...!seismo!mcvax!inria!{crcge1 or cnetlu}!ranson