[comp.sys.mac] Word 3.01 and fonts

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (10/05/87)

My copy of Microsoft Word 3.01 has arrived, and I've installed it. One thing
is puzzling me though:  Although the docs say that you can use "any number"
of fonts I cannot get the font menu to recognize new fonts consistantly.  I
have only 4-6 fonts in the system folder, and MacDraw "sees" them all - but
Word will only see 3-4 of them - without any consistancy as to which 3 or 4
(it always seems to recognize the same 3-4 but if I change the system folder
with font/da mover I can't predict which ones it will use)

Anyone else seen this happen?

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/06/87)

In article <2444@calmasd.GE.COM>, jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:

> My copy of Microsoft Word 3.01 has arrived, and I've installed it. One thing
> is puzzling me though:  Although the docs say that you can use "any number"
> of fonts I cannot get the font menu to recognize new fonts consistantly.  I
> have only 4-6 fonts in the system folder, and MacDraw "sees" them all - but
> Word will only see 3-4 of them - without any consistancy as to which 3 or 4
> (it always seems to recognize the same 3-4 but if I change the system folder
> with font/da mover I can't predict which ones it will use)
>
> Anyone else seen this happen?

Yep.

It seems that they did it on purpose...

Look again (I trust you *have* read the manual...) at the manual
and read the section on adding/subtracting menu items.  You can
add font names that you use normally, and font sizes in addition
to the few that the menu shows.  (My wife wanted New York 96...
I had to build the font for her, even.)

On the other hand, if you muck about in one of the other menus,
you will find a menu item name "Character".  Picking that one will
give you a huge dialog that lets you scroll through all the installed
fonts, and you can pick *any* font size you want (handy if you're
building LaserWritten documents).

	Have fun,

	seh

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (10/06/87)

>My copy of Microsoft Word 3.01 has arrived, and I've installed it. One thing
>is puzzling me though:  Although the docs say that you can use "any number"
>of fonts I cannot get the font menu to recognize new fonts consistantly.

But no, this isn't a bug, it's a feature! :-)  Actually, it's the side-effect
of a feature, but that doesn't help until you understand it all.

First, the Character dialog of the Format menu will always get you access to
all fonts installed in the system.  However, this can be painfully awkward.

Second, the fonts presented in the Font menu are a subset of the fonts in the
system.  (Similarly, the formats presented in the Format menu are a subset of
the formats available.)  You CAN control the fonts presented in the menu by
using the Command-Option-+ key to add, or the Command-Option-- (minus) key to
remove, entries from this menu.  YOU MUST BE IN FULL MENUS TO CUSTOMIZE THE
MENUS, though the results will remain in short menus.

Basically, to add a font to the menu, press Command-Option-+ (plus).  The cursor
will change to a large plus sign, indicating that you will be adding to the
customized menus.  Then, select the Character dialog from the Format menu, and
scan the list of fonts till you find the one you want.  When you click on the
font name, the bell rings and the cursor returns to normal.  Examining the Font
menu shows that you have added that font.

If you wish to add more than one, hold down the shift key while making your
selections (except for the last one).  This will retain the "big plus" mode
for multiple selections.

To remove a font from the menu, press Command-Option-Minus.  The cursor will
change to a big minus sign.  Go to the Font menu and select the one you wish
to remove.  Again, a bell indicates it's done, and holding the shift allows
multiple selections.

Note that you can add/delete formats in the Format menu, and that some pretty
unexpected things can be added to that menu:  Show/Hide invisible text, page
break before paragraph, one or two column, etc.  Also, this technique can be
used to create a whole new menu, the Work menu.  The Work menu can contain
instant selections to styles, glossary entries, and even document names!

For complete information, RTFM, in this case the "Reference to Microsoft Word",
in the section titled "Menus."
--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) (10/07/87)

In article <2444@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:

>My copy of Microsoft Word 3.01 has arrived, and I've installed it. One thing
>is puzzling me though:  Although the docs say that you can use "any number"
>of fonts I cannot get the font menu to recognize new fonts consistantly.  I
>have only 4-6 fonts in the system folder, and MacDraw "sees" them all - but
>Word will only see 3-4 of them - without any consistancy as to which 3 or 4
>(it always seems to recognize the same 3-4 but if I change the system folder
>with font/da mover I can't predict which ones it will use)
>
>Anyone else seen this happen?

What you have described is actually one of Word's nicer features: You can
select which fonts will appear in the font menu and which ones will not.
Do this: under one of those pull down menus is a selection titled
"Character..". Select that. A dialog box will appear, showing all options
available to you (italics, strikethru, etc) as well as all fonts installed
in the system folder, even the ones that do not appear in Word's regular
pull-down font menu. To make one of these fonts appear in the pull-down
menu (where it's a lot more convenient), press the Command-option-shift
and + keys simultaneously. The cursor should change to a "+". Now select
one of the fonts shown in the "Character" dialog box. The menu bar will
respond by flashing. Now put away that "Character" dialog box, and pull
down your font menu. Your new font should appear. You can add as many new
fonts as you like, in the same manner, also. You can also make some of the
style options, like strikethru, double underline, etc, available in the
pull down menus too. Same trick. You can also remove unwanted options
from the pull-down menus: Press command-option-shift and "-", and your
cursor should change to a "-". Now pull down the menu and select the
item you wish to remove. The menu bar should flash once again, and
the unwanted item will be gone. (still available in one of the dialog
boxes, where it's out of your way) All of these settings are kept in a
separate file called "Word Settings", which will usually appear in
your system folder. If you want to completely undo your customizing,
just trash this file.

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (10/07/87)

In article <2444@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:

>Word will only see 3-4 of them - without any consistancy as to which 3 or 4
>(it always seems to recognize the same 3-4 but if I change the system folder
>with font/da mover I can't predict which ones it will use)

This may be a stupid reply and you've already dismissed this, BUT...

Word may only print say, 3 or 4 of the default fonts on the --Font--
menu but the rest should be available through the Command-D character
menu.  If they're not, make sure that your the fonts are installed
on the Word disk and not just on the Draw disk.  (Your computer may be
switching between Systems on each disk...).

Hope that helps.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

paul@aucs.UUCP (10/07/87)

I don't know how Word decides which fonts to put in the font menu by
default, but you can easily add/remove fonts by using the command/option +/-
commands.  After typing command-option +, go into the character menu
and select a font.  If you hold down the shift key, you can select several
fonts at a time.  When you leave the character menu, the fonts you selected
are now in the font menu.  You can delete fonts using command-option -.  The
current fonts are kept in the word preferences file, so if you delete that,
you're back to square one.

Paul H. Steele      USENET: {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET: Paul@Acadia
Wolfville, NS
CANADA  B0P 1X0     (902) 542-2201x587

elliot@well.UUCP (Elliot Fabric) (10/07/87)

<(My wife wanted New York 96...
I had to build the font for her, even.)
How did you "build" it?  Is that from Word?  Or from another program?

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/08/87)

In article <4167@well.UUCP>, elliot@well.UUCP (Elliot Fabric) writes:

> <(My wife wanted New York 96...
> I had to build the font for her, even.)
> How did you "build" it?  Is that from Word?  Or from another program?

Another program: Fontastic.  (Fontastic+ is better, but I
haven't allocated the funds yet to get it.)

	seh

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (10/10/87)

>>> <(My wife wanted New York 96...
>>> I had to build the font for her, even.)

>> How did you "build" it?  Is that from Word?  Or from another program?

>Another program: Fontastic.  (Fontastic+ is better, but I
>haven't allocated the funds yet to get it.)

I have had trouble with the combination of Fontastic Plus, Word 3.01, and a
LaserWriter Plus.

I created a font in 72 point size.  I used it with MacWrite, where the
characters appeared correctly on the screen, the ImageWriter, and the Laser
Writer.  I then used it with Word 3.01, where the characters appeared correctly
on the screen, the ImageWriter, but not on the LW; here they all had zero
width, meaning each character appeared at the left margin!

I tried it without the set FOND widths, by removing the FOND resource and installing it into a new system.  This provides a default FOND set of widths.  It worked on the LW, but the default widths were all wrong and it acted terrible on the screen.

I eventually gave it up.  Maybe this is a bug in Fontastic Plus; it was always
a buggy package in all its incarnations.  Anybody else have any ideas?

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.
briand@tekig4.TEK.COM   or  {decvax,cae780,uw-beaver}!tektronix!tekig4!briand

moku@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Mark Francillon) (10/18/87)

So I have these files, created on Machine A.  All the text's in Times,
except for a few words here and there I want to appear in Greek characters
(=Symbol font).  I print the files on a Laserwriter hooked up to Machine
B.  When I do so, everything comes out fine--except that the words in
Symbol come out in something else, I guess it must be Helvetica.

Yes, Symbol's in the system file on B (and in the same set of sizes as on
A, if that makes a difference).  Anybody seen anything like this?
Suggestions?

Bonus question for Symbol wizards: How do you generate the end-of-word
sigma character?

Thanks.

     Mark Francillon
     Dept. of Anthropology
     University of Chicago
     ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!moku

larus@paris.Berkeley.EDU.berkeley.edu (James Larus) (10/18/87)

This is an example of a program being too smart for its own good.  MS Word
does font substitution.  If you entered a document on a machine without a
Laserwriter, it uses fonts for the Imagewriter.  You need to install a
Laserwriter driver on your first machine and use Chooser to select it before
entering font information.  My guess is that what you think is Symbol is
actually the Imagewriter equivalent.  Details about this "feature" may be in
the documentation, but I have never found them and most people at Microsoft
had no clue as to this problem (yes, I finally spoke with a programmer who
told me what was happening).

/Jim

moku@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Mark Francillon) (10/19/87)

In article <21331@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> larus@paris.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (James Larus) writes:
>This is an example of a program being too smart for its own good.  MS Word
>does font substitution.  If you entered a document on a machine without a
>Laserwriter, it uses fonts for the Imagewriter.  You need to install a
>Laserwriter driver on your first machine and use Chooser to select it before
>entering font information.  My guess is that what you think is Symbol is
>actually the Imagewriter equivalent.  Details about this "feature" may be in
>the documentation, but I have never found them and most people at Microsoft
>had no clue as to this problem (yes, I finally spoke with a programmer who
>told me what was happening).
>
>/Jim

I don't know, this suggests some things to play around with, but I don't
really see how it covers the case.  I create a file on one machine in two
LW fonts.  When I print it from a second machine, Times comes out ok, but
Symbol's changed into something else.  Seems to me that on your account
either I've got the LW Chosen when I create the file, which in fact I
almost always do, since I want to see what the final result's going to look
like, and then both fonts should come out right; or else I don't, and
then both should come out transformed.

   Mark

shulman@slb-sdr.UUCP (Jeff Shulman) (10/19/87)

Sounds to me like the internal font ID was changed between the two Systems.
I show Symbol as ID 23.  You can find the font's ID by using programs like
ResEdit or my FontDisplay program.

                                                        Jeff

uucp:     ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:    SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM
Delphi:   JEFFS
GEnie:    KILROY
CIS:      76136,667