[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Displays

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (10/10/87)

I have a few questions about big color displays:

(1) Can the NEC Multisync monitor be used with the Mac II?  I've heard
it may be hard to get a cable.  Does anyone selling the NEC monitor
provide the appropriate cables?

(2) The NEC mail order price seems very good ($549 BYTE) -- how is the
image quality?  How does it compare to Sony Multiscan?  Is the Apple
monitor really a Sony Multiscan, or does it have a fixed scanning speed?

(3) I'd like an expandable-to-color MAC II display board.  The SuperMac
color board look good, but the list price is steep ($795 for 4-bit
color, $795 to upgrade, or $1495 for 8-bit color -- you can't upgrade
on your own without Supermac's color chip).  Has anyone seen a
lower price?  Will this board work with a Multisync-type monitor at
800*600 pixels?  It supposedly works with many monitors, including Apple's.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois

jeremy@swatsun (Jeremy Brest) (10/13/87)

When I first got my Mac II, I tried several cables hooking it
up to a MultiSync, none of which worked.  There was evidence if
an image, but it was unreadable due to syncing problems.  Perhaps
the people at NEC have decided that the Mac II market is a valuable
one and are planning a new model.

Jeremy Brest
Swarthmore College
uucp:...seismo!bpa!swatsun!jeremy
CSnet:jeremy@swatsun.swarthmore.edu
ARPAnet:jeremy%swatsun.swarthmore.edu@relay.cs.net

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (10/14/87)

The colors (particularly red and blue) and resolution of the Sony are
much better than the NEC.  As for wiring a cable, anyone with a soldering
iron and a source for 4-wire shielded cable and DB-15's can do it.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (10/20/87)

In article <1325@thebes.swatsun.UUCP>, jeremy@swatsun.UUCP writes:
> When I first got my Mac II, I tried several cables hooking it
> up to a MultiSync, none of which worked.

There are two tricks to it. The first is to use the cable documented i
APples documentation. The second is to tell the monitor about the right way
to synchronize. I have forgotten the details on both, but I hope someone
out there can refresh both our memories.

Jonathan S. Shapiro
AT&T