[comp.sys.mac] Unhappy mac and 0F00D code

lui@CS.UCLA.EDU (10/21/87)

Occasionally when I power up my Mac, it displays an unhappy face and the
code 0F00D. Does this mean that a memory chip is bad? How hard is it to
change a memory chip?

	Stephen Lui
	UCLA Department of Computer Science and

	Hughes Aircraft Company
	2000 E. Imperial Hwy.
	El Segundo, CA

	(213) 305-2085

	ARPA:  lui@cs.ucla.edu
	UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!lui

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (10/21/87)

In article <8747@shemp.UCLA.EDU> lui@CS.UCLA.EDU (Stephen Lui) writes:
>Occasionally when I power up my Mac, it displays an unhappy face and the
>code 0F00D. Does this mean that a memory chip is bad? How hard is it to
>change a memory chip?

I think that code indicates that your programmer's switch is stuck.
Try removing it.

On a Plus, SE, or II, it's pretty easy to change a memory chip.  You
open the Mac, pop out a SIMM, and pop in a new one.  On older machines
it's a motherboard swap (unless you're into desoldering chips from
multi-layer printed circuit boards).

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/21/87)

In article <8747@shemp.UCLA.EDU> lui@CS.UCLA.EDU (Stephen Lui) writes:
>Occasionally when I power up my Mac, it displays an unhappy face and the
>code 0F00D. Does this mean that a memory chip is bad? How hard is it to
>change a memory chip?

	The 0F indicates a system error, and the "000D" is the error number;
in this case, it's 13, which indicates a press of the programmer's interrupt
button.

	More than likely, your switch has gotten stuck or is on in such a
position that it occasionally closes the internal contact. Try removing it
and see what happens.

		-_Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy quote)                       *