[comp.sys.mac] Multiple Replies

syap@ur-tut.UUCP (James Fitzwilliam) (10/11/87)

In article <2974@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Richard Siegel) writes:

>It's very important to remember that we were all at one time computer
>(or Macintosh) novices, and to give due consideration to those who
>still are.

	Quite so. Friendly exchange of advice is probably the number one
	purpose of the group, no matter what level of subject is
	at hand.

>	I agree, 10 responses to a single question is a nuisance to
>read and is, to put it bluntly, a waste of space and time. I've made
>the mistake of responding to a question before reading further, and
>ended up contributing to a crowd of responses. Therefore, read *all*
>of the followups to a question and see if it hasn't already been
>answered. It'll save time, bytes, and frustration.

	If the question is relatively simple, the answers to which
	will probably be of little use to the rest of the subscribers,
	just _mail_your_reply_to_the_asker_, whenever possible. It will
	be much easier for *them* to sift/trash multiple responses than
	for the rest of the newsgroup!

	It's up to the individual involved to post a summary of interesting
	blinking apple overkill.    (-:

>	What about a comp.sys.mac.newuser? Are there enough new
>user questions to warrant the creation of such a newsgroup? If not
>then how about a moderated newsgroup?

	A moderated group might be okay, but I don't think splitting would
help; many MacWizards would have no interest in the newuser group, so the
people in that group might miss out on some of their expertise.

	As long as we exercise a little discretion about whether to reply
in group or via mail, and not post things willy-nilly, I think the group
can be useful and enjoyable for all levels of MacUsers.

						JMF

arpa: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
uucp: !rochester!ur-tut!syap

"No, Rochester isn't the end of the world, but we can _see_ it from here."

dymm@wvucswv.UUCP (10/22/87)

THIS IS A TEST............

Hope you don't mind, but we are having trouble with our system and are NOT
sure that our follow-ups to articles are actually reaching the world
beyond Morgantown, West Virginia.

I would appreciate if someone would E-mail me a response to this note
at the address below so that I could check that it really is being distributed.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Dymm			Software Engineer

USMAIL: Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems,
	13 Beechurst Ave., Morgantown, WV 26505
PHONE:	304 291-2651 (8:30-4:30 EST)
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore, cadre,idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsb!wvucswv!dymm