[comp.sys.mac] Starring Macs

humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) (10/10/87)

In the movie "The Big Easy", a mac is shown on the district attorney's
desk at one point.  Problem:  no cables coming out of the back of it.

--
Steve Humphrey                                         USPS:    P.O. Box 1285
humphrey@skat.usc.edu (NOT castor.usc.edu anymore!)          Dixon, CA  95620

mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) (10/10/87)

In article <4669@oberon.USC.EDU> humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) writes:
>In the movie "The Big Easy", a mac is shown on the district attorney's
>desk at one point.  Problem:  no cables coming out of the back of it.

And no external disk drive.  And I think it was an "old" Mac, i.e., a 512
or 128.  Set designers seem to like the machine, though.  It's small, and
shows how "in" the stars are...:-)

Once, long ago, didn't they have EPSONS in the office? I also seem to remember
an episode where the security office somewhere had a row of five Macs acting
as MONITORS.  Each one had black electrical tape across the disk drive and
logo... :-)

And now the "value" part of the message: the few pictures I have seen of Macs
turned on have been on the news.  They are always in the background, and in-
variably FLICKER like mad.  I know people on this newsgroup have often written
that it's possible to aim a camera at the screen and get a good picture.  Can
someone comment on the other type of "background" filming?

--
Robert Dorsett                  {allegra,seismo}!sally!ut-ngp!walt!mentat
University of Texas at Austin	{allegra, seismo}!sally!ut-ngp!auscso!mentat

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/11/87)

In article <452@auscso.UUCP> mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>In article <4669@oberon.USC.EDU> humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) writes:
>And now the "value" part of the message: the few pictures I have seen of Macs
>turned on have been on the news.  They are always in the background, and in-
>variably FLICKER like mad.  I know people on this newsgroup have often written
>that it's possible to aim a camera at the screen and get a good picture.  Can
>someone comment on the other type of "background" filming?

	If I had to guess, I'd say that the flicker is because of the
difference in scan rate between the computer screen and the TV (or movie)
camera. This also shows up occasionally on the evening news, whenever
they show a shot of a television screen over in Europe (which uses a 50Hz
cycle rate for their TV sets, in general).

	How to work around it, I don't know.

Whoa! That wasn't a LightspeedC question! Whoops... ;-)

		--Rich
**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* THINK Technologies, Inc.  (No snappy quote)                       *

russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) (10/13/87)

As incredible as it may sound:
If I am not out doing something constructive (like eating or drinking)
on Tuesday nights, NOVA is on opposite Moonlighiting in NYC -- so I've
NEVER seen it.  Honest.  No kidding.  I too was wondering how somebody
I've never heard of could be so damn important in the Mac community....
-r
(Richard Reich as russell@nyu)
From: russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell)
Date: 12-Oct-87 23:27 EDT
Subject: Re: HyperCard stack multi-access
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

Yes, indeed.  The stack backup problem kills me -- it makes a brilliant
utility like DiskFit into a painful-to-use chore.  Even though we all know
why the problem occurs -- it should be considered a BUG.  It is a great pitty
that Atkinson thinks that saving is something the lowbrow user can NEVER be
taught to do.  So we all have to suffer.

jimm@mitsumi.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (10/15/87)

In article <2975@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Richard Siegel) writes:
>In article <452@auscso.UUCP> mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>>In article <4669@oberon.USC.EDU> humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) writes:
>>And now the "value" part of the message: the few pictures I have seen of Macs
>>turned on have been on the news.  They are always in the background, and in-
>>variably FLICKER like mad.
>
>	If I had to guess, I'd say that the flicker is because of the
>difference in scan rate between the computer screen and the TV (or movie)
>camera. This also shows up occasionally on the evening news, whenever
>they show a shot of a television screen over in Europe (which uses a 50Hz
>cycle rate for their TV sets, in general).
>
>	How to work around it, I don't know.
>		--Rich

Nice guess.  Different scan rates will cause problems, but even with
the same (or similar) scan rates, problems will occur if pieces
of video equipment are not synchronized (a black band will appear on the
monitor in the picture).

Synchonization of video sources/cameras is called genlock.  I don't know
the scan rate of Macs.  Some PC's can benefit from aftermarket genlocks.
The Amiga was designed with Genlock in mind (the computer's internal
clock is synchronized to external video), and with the genlock peripheral
can be used in video scenes.  Genlock synchronization is also needed
when mixing video sources, such as graphic overlays of video, which
is another function of the Amiga Genlock peripheral.

It is said that all computer displays on Max Headroom (except Max, his
ownself) are now generated on Amigas.  I haven't seen much truly wild,
but the simple graphic overlays of videophones and the like are
easy to do with an Amiga and Genlock.

	jimm

--
	Jim Mackraz
	Mitsumi Technology, Inc.		408/980-5422

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (10/22/87)

> In the movie "The Big Easy", a mac is shown on the district attorney's
> desk at one point.  Problem:  no cables coming out of the back of it.

I saw that one.  Also, some new Chevrolet ad (I think maybe for a
barretta(sp?)) toggles back and forth between a woman typing at
her computer (maybe typing a review of the car) and driving the car.
The computer is a Mac II.

cheers, from
charles s. geiger
ARPA:  cgeiger@ngp.cc.utexas.edu       cgeiger@ut-ngp.ARPA
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!cgeiger     allegra!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       gatech!ut-ngp!cgeiger    seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger