[comp.sys.mac] word 3.01 postscript dump

dgordon@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dan Gordon) (10/22/87)

How do you dump postscript output from word 3.01 to a file rather
than to the printer?

Dan Gordon

gfj@homxc.UUCP (G.JOHNSON) (10/23/87)

In article <18186@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, dgordon@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dan Gordon) writes:
> How do you dump postscript output from word 3.01 to a file rather
> than to the printer?

Assuming the case where you are using a mac with no Laserwriter,
no appletalk, just tell the mac using the control panel that you
have appletalk hooked up.  Then use the chooser to tell it that
you have a Laserwriter.  Next go into Word and paginate your
document again so it will work properly for a Laserwriter type
printer.  Then print the document, but as soon as you click
OK, press and hold command-f.  The mac should respond with
a dialog box claiming "Creating Postscript file".

Upon completion of this task there will be a file out there
called Postscript.  If you do it again the file will be overwritten
so it should probably be renamed.

Now, I've done this and uploaded the Postscript file to UNIX(tm)
and have not been able to make my QMS-PS800 print the file.
It looks and feels like Postscript but I'm concerned the
version the mac is generating is old.  I have not had the time
to research the problem but would be interested in any additions
to this people may have.

Also, I've been told that other people could not get the Laserwriter
to show up in the chooser.  I have a Plus with an HD20.  Possibly
the Laserwriter drivers came with the HD20 system stuff???

Oh well.

			Garrett Johnson

			*** IS THIS WHERE THE DISCLAIMER GOES? *

tdn@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Newton) (10/25/87)

> ... Then print the document, but as soon as you click OK, press and hold
> command-f...
>
> Now, I've done this and uploaded the Postscript file to UNIX(tm)
> and have not been able to make my QMS-PS800 print the file.

The PostScript that the Macintosh LaserWriter drivers generate makes use of a
few commands defined in the file "Laser Prep".  When printing from a Mac, the
"Laser Prep" file is downloaded automatically.

If I remember correctly, the LaserWriter driver provides two keystrokes which
you can use to capture PostScript output.  One is COMMAND-F (as you describe)
and the other is COMMAND-K.  I believe that COMMAND-K is the one that creates
PostScript files containing both Laser Prep code and document-specific output.
So you might want to try printing files created with COMMAND-K...

                                        -- Thomas Newton