[comp.sys.mac] RUMOR CENTRAL

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (<anonymous>) (10/21/87)

Of course this isn't "official" by any means, but it seems like something
short enough that won't waste too much bandwidth...

RUMOR says that Apple will drop the Mac + from its line sometime after the
begAlinter
ut of muL@pr

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (10/21/87)

In article <171@ut-emx.UUCP>, jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (<anonymous>) writes:
> RUMOR says that Apple will drop the Mac + from its line sometime after the
> beginning of the year.

This was quoted in, I believe, a Macintosh Today article.  Don't
believe it.

My own opinion (based on no inside information whatsoever)
is that the people at Apple are not stupid, and therefore will
not discontinue their entry-level machine (that is the closest
in price to an XT/AT clone) for which the production costs have
been fully amortized and thus is cheap to produce.

As long as people buy the Plus, I think Apple will sell it.
I'd also expect that it gets one more price reduction (such
as when a new machine is released) before being discontinued.

Note that they went to a lot of trouble with System 4.1 not
to make the Plus obsolete (see MacTutor, 8/87).

My (guess) prediction: the Plus will be available until at
least the end of 1988.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

crowe@whuts.UUCP (CROWE) (10/22/87)

In article <4144@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:

> As long as people buy the Plus, I think Apple will sell it.
> I'd also expect that it gets one more price reduction (such
> as when a new machine is released) before being discontinued.

I don't remember where I heard this (Infoworld, MacUser, MacWorld,etc.),
but it has been rumored that Apple will unveil a screenless SE with
four (?) expansion slots.

I don't know about everybody else, but I think a machine like this would
sell like gangbusters (and everyone KNOWS how well gangbusters are
doing these days).

I am currently leasing my SE at work and am kinda hoping that this rumor
is true so I can have a larger screen on the machine I end up purchasing.

Well?!

D. Crowe
whuts!crowe
AT&T Bell Labs
Whippany, NJ
201-386-3961

steele@unc.UUCP (10/22/87)

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
>As long as people buy the Plus, I think Apple will sell it.

But do you think the case will change color? (:-)

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
							steele%unc@mcnc.org

In article <1723@unc.cs.unc.edu>, steele@unc.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) writes:

> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
> >As long as people buy the Plus, I think Apple will sell it.
>
> But do you think the case will change color? (:-)

The new Mac Pluses (sp) that I've seen have been Platinum...old keyboard
and all.

D. Crowe
whuts!crowe
AT&T Bell Labs
Whippany, NJ

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (10/23/87)

In article <171@ut-emx.UUCP>, jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (<anonymous>) writes:

> Of course this isn't "official" by any means, but it seems like something
> short enough that won't waste too much bandwidth...
>
> RUMOR says that Apple will drop the Mac + from its line sometime after the
> beginning of the year.

From what I know, anything less than a SE has already been dropped.
Don't quote me on it though.

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (10/23/87)

In article <3049@whuts.UUCP>, crowe@whuts.UUCP (CROWE) writes:
> I don't remember where I heard this (Infoworld, MacUser, MacWorld,etc.),
> but it has been rumored that Apple will unveil a screenless SE with
> four (?) expansion slots.
>
> I don't know about everybody else, but I think a machine like this would
> sell like gangbusters (and everyone KNOWS how well gangbusters are
> doing these days).
> D. Crowe

    When the new Macs came out there was clearly a machine missing which
was a (probably 68000 based) Mac with a slot like the SE but without a
built in screen. Apple's monochrome monitor for the II would be one of
many possible add on monitors and the price wouldn't have been prohibitive.
I guess the fact that Apple makes the built in monitors so cheaply is a
big consideration for them.

    In any case, the only reason I have problems selling people at work on
Macintosh is because of the screen size (clear, but still TOOO small).
Yes you can buy add on monitors for the plus and SE (for $1500 or more)
and yes you can even buy the new monitor for an additional $1000 but many
people would be glad to buy an SE type machine with a decent (12-14 in)
monitor for $200-500 more and don't necessarily need the (still) larger
screen. Apple has produced a great high end machine and solved many of
the problems with the compact Mac with the introduction of the Plus and now
SE, but the small screen remains unless you are willing to spend BIG bucks.
I hope there is a soon a machine that resolves this problem.

David Gelphman

gardner@prls.UUCP (Robert Gardner) (10/26/87)

In article <2140@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) writes:

>    In any case, the only reason I have problems selling people at work on
>Macintosh is because of the screen size (clear, but still TOOO small).

Just in case anyone's counting... This is also the NUMBER ONE objection
I hear about the Mac from people at work -- especially those already
familiar with other brands.

Robert Gardner