[comp.sys.mac] Volvo vs Apple

larryh@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Larry Hutchinson) (10/22/87)

All right all you YUPpies and DINKs out there, stop buying Volvos!  I just
read in MacWEEK that Volvo workers threatened to strike if a $40 million
contract went to Apple (for Mac IIs) rather than to Olivetti.  The workers
won.

A boycot by the members of this news group is clearly in order and
most certainly will cost Volvo literally tens of dollars :^)

smh@mhuxu.UUCP (S. M. Henning) (10/23/87)

In article <2788@tekgvs.TEK.COM>, larryh@tekgvs.UUCP writes:
> Volvo workers threatened to strike if a $40 million contract
> went to Apple (for Mac IIs) rather than to Olivetti.  The workers
> won.

There are a lot more Volvo owners then Volvo workers and nearly
every Volvo owner I know owns at least one Apple computer.  That is
probably the reason Apple had no comment on this story.

If the American Indians made a car or computer I would consider
buying it, buy why buy from European deserters who came to
America to destroy the native Americans when you can buy from
loyal Europeans who stayed and persevered?  This country needs
an Apple in every teepee.;)

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (10/27/87)

In article <6856@mhuxu.UUCP> smh@mhuxu.UUCP (S. M. Henning) writes:
> why buy from European deserters who came to
>America to destroy the native Americans when you can buy from
>loyal Europeans who stayed and persevered?  This country needs
>an Apple in every teepee.;)

A little skewed and over-generalized perspective on why people
came to America and what they did when they got here.  (At
least some of) my ancestors would have been happy enough to
remain in their European homes, but were not able to because of
religious persecution by the "loyal" Europeans.  They did
not personally "destroy" any native Americans, but of course
their culture (at least) was inevitably doomed as soon as a technologic
culture such as Western Europe came into contact with native
non-technological cultures.  This is a natural consequence,
which although it had deplorable effects for the natives,
it is hard to see how it could have turned out differently.
(The diseases the white man brought killed more natives than
their weapons, incidentally.)