[comp.sys.mac] Disappearing files and other that won't work

cheeser@dasys1.UUCP (Les Kay) (10/18/87)

Lately, I've found, on the various nets, some nice Icons to use with my SE and
II.  They are pasted into the icon resuorces that are a part of system,
easy access, etc.  This brought about a craze on my part of altering some of the
icons on some applications that seem to be nothing more than the standard
icon that comes out of the compiler, fiddling with icons in general....

No, we all know that when you change an icon, you must let your desktop know
about the change.  The way to do this is to rebuild the desktop when you
boot the mac, by holding down meta-pretzel-cockebottle-dojigger whilest
rebooting.

The problem?  After doing this, programs (and only ones in the system folder)
either stop working (can't be read by any program) or vanish altogether!  Now,
I've been warned that things like this might happen to software that is not
compatible with the current system/finder (I use the release version of
multifinder (yes troopies, it is out - dealers should even have it
REAL SOON NOW)  6.0/5.5??).  So, ok, but I find it kinda weird that the
control panel general file regualrly disappears....  And the Thunder
supplementary disctionary, but not the main one....  Theings like that.  Anyone
else have this happen?  Any comments?

Jonathan Bing, Master (cheeser)			...ihnp4!hoptoad!dasys1!cheeser
	      Time flys like an Arrow, Fruit Flies like Bananas!

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (10/27/87)

In article <1693@dasys1.UUCP> cheeser@dasys1.UUCP (Les Kay) writes:

>No, we all know that when you change an icon, you must let your desktop know
>about the change.  The way to do this is to rebuild the desktop when you
>boot the mac, by holding down meta-pretzel-cockebottle-dojigger whilest
>rebooting.

A MUCH BETTER way to do this is simply to switch the 'Inited' Finder-flag
off, using ResEdit or DiskTop or any program that edits the Finder-flags.
That way, when you open the folder in which the application lives, the
Finder does the bundle-shuffle with it, thus accepting it's (new) icon.

Continually re-building the Desktop is not a good thing,as you have discovered.

Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-02-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@seismo.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac