[comp.sys.mac] Miniwriter 1.3 'n Multifinder

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (10/22/87)

I'm running Multifinder 1.0b6 on my Mac II, and I've been having
problems with Miniwriter, David Dunham's excellent text file
editor DA.  Basically, it puts up the little running-Mac dialog,
and then, when I click to try to use the DA, the dialog goes away
and takes Miniwriter's window with it.  Miniwriter basically
erases itself from the screen.

Is there a new version coming out that will run properly under
Multifinder?  Are there any other text editing DAs that work under
Multifinder?

And when is a Multifinder-compatible version of Suitcase coming out?

advTHANKSance!!

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Lemme graze in your veldt,
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      |  Lemme trample your albino,
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  Lemme nibble on your buds,
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |  I'm your... Love Rhino" -- Bloom County

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (10/22/87)

In article <17927@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) writes:
> I'm running Multifinder 1.0b6 on my Mac II, and I've been having
> problems with Miniwriter, David Dunham's excellent text file
> Is there a new version coming out that will run properly under
> Multifinder?  Are there any other text editing DAs that work under
> Multifinder?
> And when is a Multifinder-compatible version of Suitcase coming out?
> Rob Jellinghaus                | "Lemme graze in your veldt,

    I'm using MiniWriter 1.39 (the most recent version I'm aware of)
and MultiFinder 1.0 (release version) with Suitcase and it works fine.
There were some earlier problems with beta version of MultiFinder but
this works great (so does Acta!). Get the latest version of all the
software and you should be fine.

David Gelphman

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <17927@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> robertj@yale.UUCP writes:
>I'm running Multifinder 1.0b6 on my Mac II, and I've been having
>problems with Miniwriter, David Dunham's excellent text file
>editor DA.
>
>Is there a new version coming out that will run properly under
>Multifinder?  Are there any other text editing DAs that work under
>Multifinder?

MockWrite seems to work quite well under Multifinder -- I've been using it
consistently on Multifinder without problem.

>And when is a Multifinder-compatible version of Suitcase coming out?

Suitcase will not allow you to open or close Font, Fkey or DA files under
Multi-finder, just as it wouldn't under Switcher or Servent.  It mentions
this in the manual.  Whether Brecher can easily fix this, I don't know.

However, Suitcase DOES continue to autoload Fonts, Fkeys and DAs at boot-up
under Multifinder, so it is still quite compatible under Multifinder.  In
fact... when you're under Multifinder and pull down the "About the
Finder..." menu option, it shows you what applications are taking up the
memory, and how much memory each one takes up.  It always shows the System
file as taking up some memory.  Anyone know if the amount of memory the
System file takes up is any greater if you have more DAs and Fonts stored in
the System file, i.e. size of System File is proportional to the amount of
RAM reserved for it in Multifinder?  If it does take up more room, than
Suitcase can save you substantial amounts of memory.

                            "It's curtains for you, Mighty Mouse!  This gun
                             is so futuristic that even *I* don't know how
                             it works!"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...