[comp.sys.mac] Sound <-> snd -- answers and questions

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (10/28/87)

In article <1000@saturn.ucsc.edu> fiatlux@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (David Vangerov) writes:
>At work we have a Mac II (wonderfull machine, I want one of my
>own) and I'd like to get some more sound resources for it to
>put in the system. I got several of them off of
>sumex-aim.stanford.edu via anonymous FTP, but when I put them
>into the system, some of them play at the wrong speed (about 2
>times too fast). Does anybody know of a way to slow down these
>sounds so that they play correctly?
>
>I also have a bunch of SoundCap files (type ASND) that I would
>like to be able to convert to snd type to put in the system. Is
>it possible to do this? I have Super Play 4.0, but all it does is
>play them, nothing about converting them to snd type sounds.

You can do this with (believe it or not!) HyperCard.  There's a built-in
HyperCard command that translates SoundCap files to snd resources, and I
believe it has options for what sampling speed to use.  There are one or two
PD stacks which have this information; I suggest using them, as they have a
good deal of documentation about what needs to be done.

----

Now, what I'D like to know is this -- using HyperCard, I can change SoundCap
format sounds into snd resources.  How can I change snd resources back into
SoundCap files?  I have several interesting sounds in snd format that I
would like to change back to SoundCap format, so that I can use them as
StartupSounds using the SoundInit program.  Anyone got any advice on this?

                                "...for we have Vim... for we have Vigor...
                                 for we have Advanced Nuclear Weaponry!"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...