[comp.sys.mac] Color Ribbons

ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) (10/18/87)

Yet another question from the guy who uses USENET for tech support....
I'm considering buying a color ribbon for my IW2, for embellishments, etc.
I've seen the samples. Looks good.
But how do you print in color in Word,MacPaint,SuperPaint,HyperCard,whatever?
I see no "Color" option!
How do you pull this off?
Thanks,
----Sascha (Once again!)
P.S. Anyone have Alternate Reality: The City? I got tipsy a while ago,
slept 12 hours, cured delusions and alcohol, and I -STILL- can't get my
diagnose menu to come up!
By the way, how do you get the Active Magic menu? Thanks.

Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!
New York, NY, USA            {hoptoad,bc-cis,aecom,orville,raspi}!/
--
Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!
New York, NY, USA            {hoptoad,bc-cis,aecom,orville,raspi}!/

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (10/19/87)

I was wondering the same thing.  Unfortunately, the only way
I can think of using the color ribbon is to write
your own program and use the color QuickDraw commands in the
128k ROM. :-(  Does anyone out there have any clues?

	-Ted

Ted C. Johnson
Hewlett-Packard, Design Technology Center
Santa Clara, CA
(408)553-3555
UUCP: ...hplabs!hpcea!hpcid!tedj

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary) (10/23/87)

> I was wondering the same thing.  Unfortunately, the only way
> I can think of using the color ribbon is to write
> your own program and use the color QuickDraw commands in the
> 128k ROM. :-(  Does anyone out there have any clues?
>
> 	-Ted

I use a package called ColorPress from Unibrite in Berkeley.
Combined with Superpaint (for example), it allows the use of
either multi-color ribbons or multi-pass single color ribbons.
One can  also compose the different color layers in sepparate files
and ColorPress will merge them for output to the printer.
They also make T-shirt heat transfer ribbons so you can
have your favorite files on your favorite clothes.

Gary

jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) (10/23/87)

The imagewriter driver does color printing! You just put a color ribbon
and use a reasonably new (Imagewriter II-compatible) driver. I'v heard
of some people having trouble with this, but I have successfully printed
in color from MacWrite, MacDraw and SuperPaint (maybe other too).

Color printing does not require Color Quickdraw. The old color routines
are enough.

Juri Munkki
Helsinki University of Technology
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi, jmunkki@fingate.bitnet

ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) (10/27/87)

In article <8251@santra.UUCP>, jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) writes:
> The imagewriter driver does color printing! You just put a color ribbon
> and use a reasonably new (Imagewriter II-compatible) driver. I'v heard
> of some people having trouble with this, but I have successfully printed
> in color from MacWrite, MacDraw and SuperPaint (maybe other too).
>
> Color printing does not require Color Quickdraw. The old color routines
> are enough.
 Please tell me how you do this? I have IW 2.6 and a color ribbon.
I got SuperPaint and found out how to print in color (A color menu.....),
but HOW DO YOU PRINT IN COLOR FROM MACWRITE????
Thanks,
----Sascha

--

jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) (10/29/87)

>but HOW DO YOU PRINT IN COLOR FROM MACWRITE????

You can't color the text, but you can paste color pictures into MacWrite.
I just used MacWrite as a printing interface for my Mandelbrot desk accessory.
This only proves that it doesn't require anything special from a program for
it to be able to print in color.

Now that there is a Desk Accessory Draw, someone might write a colorizing
FKEY that would color a picture in the scrap. This would provide an easy
way to make colored headlines in MacWrite (or Word or whatever) documents.

Juri Munkki
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
jmunkki@fingate.bitnet