[comp.sys.mac] Suitcase Info, Please!!

jonesg@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (Glynda Jones) (10/29/87)

On Page 111 of November's MacUser, the author makes a reference to
the fact that the Mac opens files in a very strict and known order.
Could someone expand on this order, based on the manual's chitchat
on HFS and perhaps some experience with the Suitcase package.  We
are interested in getting Suitcase, as we have lotsa fonts.  We are
also going AppleTalk (w/AppleShare) and would like to have lotsa
fonts available for the LaserWriter, without bogging down
everyone's system folders.
Either post or mail to jonesg@pa.ecn.purdue.edu.
Any suggestions would be appreciated (Translation--Help me
PLEEEEASE!)

msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Simpson) (10/30/87)

The Macintosh Resource Manager uses the following algorithm to find
resources (fonts, DAs, FKEYs, etc):
	1) Look in the current application file.  (So if you've
installed a font in the application, it is found first).
	2) Look in the System file.
	3) Look in open Suitcase files (if Suitcase is installed).

Suitcase files are searched starting with the one opened most recently,
and working back to the first one that was opened.

Automatically opened Suitcase files (named "DAs", "FKEYs", "Fonts", and
"Fonts/DAs") are opened in this order.  You could also give these names
to folders, in which case Suitcase would open all the files within the
folders, and search those files within the folder in REVERSE
alphabetical order.
--
Mike Simpson		Teknowledge, Inc.  	Los Angeles, CA
Internet:msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (10/30/87)

In article <770@pc.ecn.purdue.edu> jonesg@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (Glynda Jones) writes:
>On Page 111 of November's MacUser, the author makes a reference to
>the fact that the Mac opens files in a very strict and known order.
>Could someone expand on this order, based on the manual's chitchat
>on HFS and perhaps some experience with the Suitcase package.  We
	Umm... It certainly does open files in a very strict and
known order, whatever order the program asks it to.  In the case of
Suitcase and INIT's and a few other things where the program opens
every file of a given type in a given folder it is done by scanning
the directory (using indexed file operations).  Since the directory
is guaranteed to be sorted alphabetically, Suitcase will open it's
files alphabetically, INIT's get loaded alphabetically (by file name,
not INIT name, which may be different), etc.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi