[comp.sys.mac] Apple Hates You and other Misco

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (10/26/87)

These details about the Apple III and Lisa I/II failure are very
interesting.  They explain how apple has stumbled twice but never
completely fallen as a PC design company.  Each time they persisted in
trying to market a certain class of machine.  Their persistence seems
to have eventually paid off handsomely (apple has gone on successfully
with the IIc, the IIe, and the entire family of 5 Macs).

IBM, I believe, only stumbled with the PCjr (and slightly with the
AT).  They killed it any gave up on the market completely.  I wonder
what will happen if they stumble with the new PS/2 line (which I think
they will) -- will they get out of the PC business of become a
spectator manufacture?

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (10/28/87)

In article <76000032@uiucdcsp>, gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> These details about the Apple III and Lisa I/II failure are very
> interesting.  They explain how apple has stumbled twice but never
> completely fallen as a PC design company.  Each time they persisted in
> trying to market a certain class of machine.  Their persistence seems
> to have eventually paid off handsomely (apple has gone on successfully
> with the IIc, the IIe, and the entire family of 5 Macs).
>
> IBM, I believe, only stumbled with the PCjr (and slightly with the
> AT).  They killed it any gave up on the market completely.  I wonder
> what will happen if they stumble with the new PS/2 line (which I think
> they will) -- will they get out of the PC business of become a
> spectator manufacture?
>
> Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois

I seem to recall a PC9000 (a 68000 based machine from IBM) which stumbled quite
badly as has their RT.  IBM stumbles a lot (a number of their larger systems
have been failures); however, their return on investment has been good.  The
same is true of Apple.  Market research and consumer testing can only tell you
so much about your target audience.  The biggest problem is satisfying the
detailed expectations of the market with a _package_ which doesn't satisfy it.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed above are my own.  I don't know what (if any)
opinions my employer might have.

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (11/01/87)

In article <76000032@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>IBM, I believe, only stumbled with the PCjr (and slightly with the
>AT).  They killed it any gave up on the market completely.  I wonder
>what will happen if they stumble with the new PS/2 line (which I think
>they will) -- will they get out of the PC business of become a
>spectator manufacture?

Let's not head off on too big a tangent (note: no cross posting), but just
because Apple seems finally to be breaking in to the corporate world does not
mean that IBM is going under.  Yes, it is fair to say that the PS2 is not a
wonderful or even particularly good implementation of an i80x86 based design,
but the PS2 has some fascinating architectural innovations (micro-channel and
such) and, much more importantly, is part of a larger design directed at a
world where IBM makes *profits* comparable to Apple's *revenues* of only a year
or two back.  The PS2 is intended to regularize a section of a larger problem,
which is how to have seamless (horrible current buzzword) compatibility of
applications from 3090-x00, via 43xx, 9370, 88, 36/38 down to personal
workstations (ST, RT, AT .....).  In that market there are no current
competitors.  Remember, we are *not* talking home/personal computing here, we
are talking personal workstation in a corporate DP/MIS environment.

Additionally, IBM have taken a clone-killing leaf out of Apple's book by
building certain key architectural components into custom silicon, which it has
proven possible to protect in law against unauthorized replication.  We are not
going to see oodles of *cheap* PS2 clones (clone = 100% compatibility) if the
clone makers have to develop those components for themselves.  Never fear, the
PS2 may not be a wonder-engine, but it is intended to do things in a larger
plan where it is unlikely to find many competitors.

Now, with respect to OS2, or the use of the PS2 simply as an MS-DOS machine....
Well, we use 386-based MS-DOS engines (non-IBM) because they were the best tool
for the job when we needed one.  A preliminary look at OS2 says you have to
pay a certain amount of attention; Microsoft's presentation manager may not be
the Mac toolbox, but it will provide a standard interface, and the heart of OS2
came from IBM, where they are not unfamiliar with operating systems.

In fact, the biggest problem we have with the Mac II right now is the problem
of operating systems, and anyone who has had to develop a UNIX-based
application for use by non computer-literate end-users knows that A/UX is going
to have its work cut out.  Fine if you are a hacker at heart, but it is not
clear that A/UX will have an undo capable of recovering from "rm * .o", when
all you meant to delete was the object files.  OS2 bodes well to be a better
vehicle for end-user applications than anything yet announced by Apple.

Sorry for the length, but just because we love the Mac doesn't mean we have the
inside track on the only game in town.

Robert_S

p.s.  with reference to the small screen topic - the reason I refused to swap
      my Lisa for a Mac was the 12" (768 pixel-wide) screen, on which I can
      get the full width of an 8.5" page in the window without horizontal
      scrolling.  Once you've used it, there's no going back :-)

--
Robert Stanley           Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive