[comp.sys.mac] Multifinder, System Memory, & Suitcase

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/02/87)

In article <6576@apple.UUCP> lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>I don't know how Suitcase works.  If it keeps all the DA & font resource
>files open, then it will increase the memory usage, since there will be
>several resource maps in memory at once.  If it only opens one file at a
>time (as it needs it), then the memory requirements will be less.
Judging by the 'File in use' errors I've seen while trying to do something to
one of the Suitcase Da files, I would say it keeps them all open.  It would be
nice to get verification of this, though.

Can anyone explain the difficulties in opening additional resource files under
MF?  Suitcase won't, and is documented as such, so I assume it must be a good
reason.  How does Font/DA Mover 3.6 cope with this, since it does work under
MultiFinder?

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!net1!borton
					borton@net1.ucsd.edu
"Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, noch ein Jahr hier, en dan naar het Nederland!